World-Designs-Forum

World-Designs-Forum (http://forum.world-designs.co.uk/index.php)
-   Sources (http://forum.world-designs.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Mats (http://forum.world-designs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1210)

Shane 25th June 2006 12:38 PM

Mats

As some of you may remember, I recently built myself an idler turntable (and since I'm ridiculously proud of it, here it is again http://www.thepippin.plus.com/Homebrew%20Idler/ sorry...)

Anyway, it's based on the platter and bearing of a Heybrook TT2 which, being a Linn clone, comes with a Linn felt mat. The received wisdom for 301s/401s/L75s etc is that they work best with their original heavy rubber mats, so can anyone suggest something suitable I could try, the primary requirement being as near to zero cost since I'm skint at the moment?

pre65 25th June 2006 01:00 PM

Re: Mats

Hi Shane-i cant find where i saw it but one member posted about a supermarket that supplied a mat with their large pizza and how it made a good turntable mat.

i dont find the forum "search" facility very good.is it me ?

Philip

Paul Barker 25th June 2006 01:27 PM

Shame you are in Devon.

How would you like a gl75 platter to make the next one out of? I'm sure the two components of the bass bloomer Linn don't help the cause.

I don't have a spare Lenco rubber mat or you could have it.

When I go to engineering things with my uncle there are blokes who sell rubber sheet but it isn't ribbed like the tt mats.

They also sell sheet cork.

If it helps what worked on my lenco99 was:

You buy these little bags of small sticky backed cork whatsists to put under furniature. Stick three in the recessed for the label inner circle of the lenco, another 3 opposed and on the inside of the outer circle, yet another three opposed and in the outermost part. The inner three are so placed to exactly coincide with the feet of a cheap plastic record clamp. The record clamp itself having three corks on it's feet.

Sounds great.

If you wish I could send you what I'm talking about (no fee don't worry) and the Goldring lenco 75 platter with a bearing if I can find the bearing, can't promise that one. Irecon you are up to making a bearing out of a tractor linch pin or somat.

Shane 25th June 2006 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Barker
Shame you are in Devon.

How would you like a gl75 platter to make the next one out of? I'm sure the two components of the bass bloomer Linn don't help the cause.

I don't have a spare Lenco rubber mat or you could have it.

When I go to engineering things with my uncle there are blokes who sell rubber sheet but it isn't ribbed like the tt mats.

They also sell sheet cork.

If it helps what worked on my lenco99 was:

You buy these little bags of small sticky backed cork whatsists to put under furniature. Stick three in the recessed for the label inner circle of the lenco, another 3 opposed and on the inside of the outer circle, yet another three opposed and in the outermost part. The inner three are so placed to exactly coincide with the feet of a cheap plastic record clamp. The record clamp itself having three corks on it's feet.

Sounds great.

If you wish I could send you what I'm talking about (no fee don't worry) and the Goldring lenco 75 platter with a bearing if I can find the bearing, can't promise that one. Irecon you are up to making a bearing out of a tractor linch pin or somat.

That's really kind of you Paul, but I don't want to re-engineer the whole thing, or at least not yet. I say the TT2 was a Linn clone, but a fundamental difference is that the platter and sub-platter are aluminium, and thus about half the weight of the Linn's mazak affair, and closer in weight to the Garrards and Lenco, with the same propensity to ring like a bell. I might try the cork furniture feet/clamp idea, but I think I need the rubber to damp the platter a bit. The other thing is that I have no lid, so it needs to be wipe-clean.

Phil, thanks for the Pizza mat idea. I presume this is closed-cell expanded polystyrene or polythene, which would isolate things a bit. Certainly a low-cost option to try!

Paul Barker 25th June 2006 01:46 PM

always worth trying a flat old vinyl, also try a flat old 78.

Then again buy a box of tin taks, find three with equal length that pint straight up, blu tack them to the inner circle (if you are a member) then sit the label of the record on the points.

Try it before you condemn it. It works.

A white bearded man with a lurcher is for christmas not for life. (I can say that 'cause Nick's broadband is down he's on dial up this week.

Shane 25th June 2006 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Barker
always worth trying a flat old vinyl, also try a flat old 78.

Then again buy a box of tin taks, find three with equal length that pint straight up, blu tack them to the inner circle (if you are a member) then sit the label of the record on the points.

Try it before you condemn it. It works.

A white bearded man with a lurcher is for christmas not for life. (I can say that 'cause Nick's broadband is down he's on dial up this week.

Ummmm OK Paul, I'll give it a try (he said, dubiously).

But then Greg said it worked as well.

Just goes against the grain a bit, but we have to be open minded :)

Paul Barker 25th June 2006 01:59 PM

Look my ideas all sound daft, but you have to ask yourself am I stupid or brilliant? I don't care what you think, if you think I'm stupid you miss out, not my loss.

Everyone is told once, I don't ram it home.

Shane 25th June 2006 02:12 PM

Stupid? Who said anything about stupid? I'm just trying to get my head around why it would work. Wouldn't the record resonate like a bell? Especially if you're using a cartridge that takes a bit of driving, like a 103.

I said I'd give it a try, so I will.

graeme 25th June 2006 02:19 PM

anyone tried acrylic or silicone mats? the ones on ebay?

graeme 25th June 2006 02:26 PM

Also, once yesterday and once today, while looking through second hand records, i found 'cabon fiber anti static mats' looked mid 70's to me, but both times the sleeves were empty.
Anyone know about these? Worth tracking down?

Sorry shane, hope you dont see this as thread hijacking.
We all use ally platters so were alla fter the same info.
Seemed stupid to start another mat thread:)