World-Designs-Forum

World-Designs-Forum (http://forum.world-designs.co.uk/index.php)
-   Problems (http://forum.world-designs.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   KECL82 debugging (http://forum.world-designs.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8180)

Tumwad 14th January 2023 05:55 PM

KECL82 debugging

In the early 2000s, I built the KECL82 valve amp kit from World Audio Designs. It worked fine for a while, but then it started to show partial muting in one of the channels. It would be fine at switch-on, but after a few minutes, one channel would reduce in level, giving an unbalanced sound. It was always the same channel, but I can't recall which.

There's four valves in it, and I swapped them around to see if the problem changed sides, to no avail.

I checked all the test voltages at various circuit points as per the assembly manual, and these were all at or very close to what they should be.

It got tucked away in a cupboard shortly after this, but has anyone got any suggestions for next-stage diagnosis? I was out of ideas when I tucked it away.

John Caswell 15th January 2023 01:17 PM

Re: KECL82 debugging

Hi,
If as you say all the voltages are close to what they should be then it is time for some substitution. For a start I would have a look at C6/7 and C12/13/14/15 as these going low capacity or o/c will cause the gain to drop but no affect dc levels.
I cannot remember if the KECL82 amplifier is PCB or hard wired, but just "bridging" the component with a new one will often show up the faulty one. If it PCB handle the PCB with care they were not all that brilliant around that era.

John

Tumwad 15th January 2023 03:58 PM

Thanks, the hunt will be on for the assembly manual soon. I know it's around somewhere....

Desmodromic 15th January 2023 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Caswell (Post 94493)
Hi,

I cannot remember if the KECL82 amplifier is PCB or hard wired, but just "bridging" the component with a new one will often show up the faulty one. If it PCB handle the PCB with care they were not all that brilliant around that era.

John

I can confirm that it is a PCB based kit.

On my example, one or more of the caps C8-C10 had failed, and I lost sound on one channel. These caps are fairly close to the valves can can get a bit hot. I replaced all 4 with 0.22μF, 630v Amtrans AMCO caps and it's working well now.

Desmodromic 15th January 2023 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumwad (Post 94496)
Thanks, the hunt will be on for the assembly manual soon. I know it's around somewhere....

I believe that Greg should be able to send you a copy of the instructions.

Greg. 15th January 2023 08:24 PM

Yes, if you can’t find your copy of the build instructions and diagrams, PM me your email address and I’ll forward a copy to you.

Tumwad 16th January 2023 11:16 AM

Thanks all!

I know the assembly manual is on a shelf somewhere, but which shelf...

Tumwad 16th January 2023 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Desmodromic (Post 94499)
I replaced all 4 with 0.22μF, 630v Amtrans AMCO caps and it's working well now.

Where's a good supplier for these?

John Caswell 16th January 2023 01:03 PM

Don't just change things willy nilly approach it systematically and change one component at a time.

John

bob orbell 16th January 2023 02:29 PM

As John say's, find the fault first, of course, if you change every component it may work, but you will never know what the problem was, if these capacitors are plastic something, I doubt they will be the problem. Bob