View Single Post
Old 2nd March 2008, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Valve based Digital Analogue Converter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
If you like lifelike sound, then yes, NOS tube dacs are the best. If you like detailed, then fet driven dacs are nice. All comes down to preference but that those filters and technical chit chat makes a dac automatically better is voodoo.
Hi Tourmaline,

I don't believe its a simple divide between NOS or the newer Asynchronous oversampling. All players I've heard differ to varying extremes, regardless of the technology involved. The Meridian 602/606 bit-stream combo that I own was/is still pretty magic, but this is widely recognised to be due to the particular detailed implementation rather than the particular chip set used (and that many other manufacturers followed). Until very recently I was convinced that CD could never really rival LP, but hearing the Krell 505 (at only roughly £9k - yerr, right) changed my mind. I went to audition new loudspeakers, but was totally blown by what a totally brill CD player can do today. By chance I had several LP and CD copies of the same material. The turntable was a top-line Avid with SME arm and Ortofon K-B cartridge. Previous listenings with a lesser CD player but the same LP source only played to my thoughts that LP was still easily the best. The Krell 505 has made me doubt things and make me want to listen more widely...
I think what I'm saying is that I'm no longer sure that a simple NOS or otherwise argument is still valid. There are just so many variables. What I can say is that the the very simple RAKK DAC2 has blown my Meridian 606 out of the water. Listening to several Claire Martin CDs through the RAKK DAC is a revelation. What it suggests to me is that the combination of a well recorded CD and a good DAC offers a healthy alternative to the LP. For the record, I have Claire Martin's "Too Darn hot!" on both CD and LP. Its a close run thing, but for my taste the CD (602 and RAKK DAC2) just beats the LP (Linn LP12/Ittok/Ortofon K-B).

Each to their own I guess, but nevertheless an interesting debate.

Head down again......

NickW