View Single Post
Old 21st September 2009, 10:17 PM

Default Re: Valve based Digital Analogue Converter

I have to own up and say I am well behind most of the contributors here and have not heard many of the DAC,s mentioned. I have heard quite few , Arcam Black Box , Cambridge Dac Magic I , II , II Cambridge Dacplat , Meridian 203 , 506 , Wadia (not sure the model number but cheapest in their range), Theta Cobalt .

All of the above have been in my system and in my room for at least a week. Most were good and the differences I feel were mainly cosmetic they all did a similar job some were better at the feel of music , others were more rhythmic some were more detailed but in most cases after weeks listening they were all enjoyable.

Currently I have a Micromedia Dac(never sure of the model numbers with this company but it is the full size unit with an AES/EBU balanced input) That last item is very important and using my Theta Data Basic II via the balanced connection made more difference than a change of Dac noise was lowered music was music and flowed better. I have now managed to try two other balanced input Dacs and in each case the difference using that connection was very marked.

So could I suggest to all considering making there own Dacs of whatever flavour and if you have a transport with a balanced output you really do owe it to yourself to include this connection as an option I do not think you will be dissapointed.