World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

View Poll Results: Would you like to have the option to select black front panels for WD kits?
YES - I'd like this option 14 58.33%
NO - it doesn't interest me 10 41.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4th January 2008, 11:22 AM

Default Black Front Panels ?

I wonder whether there would be significant interest in having the option to choose between Silver and Black for the front panels on WD kits?

Personally I prefer black fronts and would choose them if they were available, I realise that this would add further inventory complexity for WD but in my opinion at least "not too much" I also realise that it might have a cost adder if it was necessary to black anodise after machining the panels although I don't think this would be necessary as a black panel with the WD logo visible in "silver" would look pretty damn cool in my view!

Cheers
Dave
Old 5th January 2008, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Black Front Panels ?

Yes this would look cool
i personally don't like the WD logo on the front panel's it looks cheap in my view it should be a 3D type black or silver/gold badge
black panel with silver or gold badge its got to look cool

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 5th January 2008, 10:56 PM

Its a 'kit' if you want it black do it yourself. The whole point of a kit is to keep the cost down on a high quallity product by cutting out superfluas bits that don't effect performance (whilst avoiding the 'home made' look).
Old 5th January 2008, 11:12 PM
WD Archivist

I doubt it would make any difference to cost apart from quantities involved. Both silver and black would go through the same process of finishing which includes anodizing be it natural or black.

Do it yourself explained here. http://www.focuser.com/atm/anodize/anodize.html
Old 6th January 2008, 12:03 AM

Interesting website Greg

I still think that cosmetic changes to the 'offered' design are up to the purchaser to do themselves. Otherwise the kit supplier has the job of cataloging & storing two seperate parts thus adding cost onto the kit regardless of which bit is ordered by the costomer.
Old 10th January 2008, 08:41 AM

Hi Bj123,

I understand your point but would suggest that it's more applicable to the kind of kit which just provides a PCB and let's youget on with the sourcing of components designing and building a case etc. The WD kits are at the "high end" of the kit world in that htey offer the "full works" to allow a very professional result for those of us with "limited" metal working skills or facilities.

Don't get me wrong - the absence of a black front option hasn't stopped me building and loving a full set of PhonoIIIs PREIIIXL WD88VAXL all with "silver" front panels - I'd simply have preferred to have the option of a black front panel, as it seems from the poll results would a fair proportion of folks, I'd certainly be interested to hear Peter's view on the cost / inventory impact of having such an option.

Cheers
Dave
Old 10th January 2008, 12:36 PM

Hi Dave

I agree that these kits are more on the plush side of buisness, but, don't forget once black panels are introduced for one kit they all have to have the option. Then you get into "what about tranformer covers, Volume Knob styles even chassie colours and its all extra work to be paid for when I think the majority of us just want to build & listen to a top class product that is accepatble to have on display.

If the majority prefered black fronts then it would be different,supply only black, I could live with either.

Henry Ford didn't say "you can have any colour you want, as long as its black" for nothing

Cheers
John
Old 10th January 2008, 12:43 PM

Hi John,

just remember though - Henry Ford didn't say "you can have any colour you want as long as it's silver" !!!!

Cheers
Dave

p.s. still 2:1 in favour on the poll!
Old 10th January 2008, 12:49 PM

Hi-Black eh ?

Matt,satin or Gloss ?

I could be tempted by a nice satin finish !

If anyone is tempted to get their panels re-anodised perhaps we could get a better deal for bulk ?

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 10th January 2008, 12:52 PM

mmmm Satin - Yes I think so :-)

Cheers
Dave