World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 25th April 2006, 02:10 PM

Default WAD phono stage.

Hello guys, new to the site

I am after an opinion regarding a wad phono stage to use with a tube technology unisis and a notts spacedeck, together with a high output mc cart.
I will be using a high output denon dl160, `till funds permit me to upgrade to a better low output mc. What i need is a phono stage, which is quiet and will work with my unisis.
i have a decent mm stage built in already, and will be using this for the dl160, however, its slightly noisy (hiss) so would like to know your opinions on the WAD as an upgrade.
Obviously, i can`t demo it, so will be buying blind, and i wonder would this be a good combination.
thanks everyone.
Old 25th April 2006, 02:55 PM

Default Re: WAD phono stage.

Firstly welcome
secondly - another 200 user cool

as for the phono stage - imho I believe to be a great unit which can be tweeked to suit your needs. I dont suffer any noise.

Rob
Old 25th April 2006, 02:58 PM

thanks for that, are the the WADs still available?
i wanted one already built

Last edited by simon n; 25th April 2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old 25th April 2006, 03:01 PM

ah - there you will have to wait Peter to reply. As far as I know ,not at the mo. but going on some of the talk around here some one could well have one 'going' or could make you one.

Rob
Old 25th April 2006, 03:03 PM

ok, thx
As long as its black though
Old 25th April 2006, 03:09 PM
Lord.

Hi Simon and welcome.

Firstly, WAD is dead. This is WD!

Petercom of World-Designs has got some of the old WAD kit to sell (Amplifiers.) but at the moment the Phono-II (and PSU-II) are not on the list.

You might want to use the contact page on the WD shop to see if he has seen any Phono/PSU kits in the WAD stock. Someone may be willing to build you one, or they do very occasionally pop up for sale.

As for recommending the Phono-II, see my signature!
Old 25th April 2006, 06:15 PM

I am also using a TT Unisis power amp as well as my 300B PSE. My phono amp is the TT MAC but I have also the WAD Phono II which has been modified and although not as good as the MAC is still very good. If you can get the parts off Peter you should go for it and after you have built the standard version look at the tweaks on this board which people have done to upgrade it.
Old 25th April 2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus Martin
I am also using a TT Unisis power amp as well as my 300B PSE. My phono amp is the TT MAC but I have also the WAD Phono II which has been modified and although not as good as the MAC is still very good. If you can get the parts off Peter you should go for it and after you have built the standard version look at the tweaks on this board which people have done to upgrade it.
prefer it ready built martin tbh, i don`t trust myself with a soldering iron!

one question for you, how do you find the unisis driving the proacs? I recently heard these along with the d25 (i prefered the older 2.5), also some audio physic virgos, and fell in love the only concern i had with the physics, is that they are rated at 4ohm, whereas the unisis only has 6-8 ohm taps. (TT did say they would put in a 4 0hm transformer if i experience difficulties. they also said i wouldn`t though!)
Also, what tubes do you use in the unisis?? I am currently running Ei elites in (as recommended by TT) but wouldn`t mind trying some others (JJ valves seem quite a good valve)
Also, how do you rate the unisis against the 300b?
sorry for the questions, your the first guy on forums that also has a unisis amp that i`ve come across .
thanks.

Last edited by simon n; 25th April 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Old 25th April 2006, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Hi
You Can get the WAD phonoII Kit From WD now I have ordered The PCBs
AND Transformer

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member

Last edited by colin.hepburn; 25th April 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 26th April 2006, 05:39 AM

Hi Simon,
The Unisis drives the ProAcs very well, I've had them both the Unisis and the ProAcs for several years but have done several mods on the Unisis, better rectifier diodes, better caps etc. As for valves I have tried numerous including Zia's Ei gold plated pin valves but in all honesty I have detected very little difference, I find the EL84 to be a nice sounding valve. The important thing is to check the bias every few months as the fuses do blow occasionally and over a period the valves do drift. (Do you have a bias meter?)
I have used a 4 ohm speaker with the Unisis and didn't experience any problems but I think it will depend on the individual speaker.
The 300B PSE is my first choice amp, it has been modded and tweaked and the sound is superb. The bass is extended and the mid range sweet I am very pleased with it. The Unisis by comparison is not far behind but sounds a little thinner, the bass is not as extended but the mid range is very good. If anything happened to my 300B I would not be too dissapointed to have to go back to the Unisis. (The valves are a lot cheaper too!)
I originally used a TT Prophet Pre Amp but built my own passive and preferred that for lack of colouration and transparency. I built a PhonoII/Pre II but had problems with hum and used the passive until recently when I tried the CF mod on the Pre II and liked it so I am using that now.
The difficulty I have out in Cyprus is getting parts. I have to get my son to order them in England and then wait until someone is coming out to bring them for me. (About half our mail goes missing). So sometimes by the time I get the parts I can't remember what I was going to do with them or I have changed my mind!