World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 17th October 2008, 07:31 PM

Default valve cage

I am desperately seeking a valve cage for a WAD 6550. Impending kiddies on the way means I have to either get a valve cage or go solid state (which will of course will result in me losing all interest in music!!).

So if anyone knows where to get hold of one, knows someone who is hiding one in the back of a cupboard or knows a helpful manufacturer then please let me know. I've already asked WD but they don't have them anymore unfortunately.

ideas please?

cheers
Carl.
Old 17th October 2008, 10:04 PM

Default Re: valve cage

You are in a desperate state, I agree. You will lose all interest in music, indeed Life itself because the baby always comes first, middle and last and that's how it is.

Either a) mothball the amp because one day, when you are a ruined and broken man you might feel a twinge of youth, vitality or plain nostalgia and you will need to crank it up or

B) give me your amp because I have never lost my youth and vitality and find it all a merry Lark.
Old 17th October 2008, 10:51 PM

Could you not mount the amp in a different position,away from prying hands ?

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 18th October 2008, 12:59 AM

or maybe surround it with broken glass and gasoline. that'll keep the kids away.

Seriously, maybe build a cage out of Lexan. the stuff is pretty easy to work with.
Old 18th October 2008, 10:40 AM

I like the lexan idea, should be easy to make something out of that!. The swiss cheese valve cage.

The problem with mounting even higher, say on a TT wall shelf is that there will be less room on the wall for TT's. 4 at the last count.

No fears on selling the amp. I would indeed mothball it for a couple of years. I reckon little fingers only touch hot valves once...
Old 18th October 2008, 10:46 AM

Four turntables and children are about to enter your life! Ha! I wasn't suggestingyou sell teh amp. I was suggesting you give it to me - you will feel better as a consequence, believe me!

one child may touch one hot valve once, probably but it only takes one 'touch' to wipe out a cartridge and L.P.

Stick it all up the loft and wait twenty years, if they don't take it to college with them.