World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 22nd June 2006, 05:43 PM

Unhappy K5881

I have had this amp for 7 years and I am now my 4th set of valves has just gone.
It seems that every now and then the cathode resistor on one valve goes open circuit, often taking the bypass capacitor with it. I suspect that the valve is shorting internally, but it is too intermittent to catch. When I checked it out the capacitor popped after about 20 minutes (soon after I stopped monitoring the cathode voltage in fact).
Is there anything else that I should check? Is this rate of failure unusual?
Could anyone recommend fuses for the valves and where they would be best placed in the circuit? You used to be able to get fusible resistors for this type of thing.
The last valves I used were Svetlana 6L6GCs, I thought the higher power handling would give a better margin & thus working life. Is there a better choice?
I need advice as the wife gives me dirty looks every time I say I need new parts for this and I have to say I am getting a bit fed up with it too. I normally have to wait quite a time for the parts to come.
Old 22nd June 2006, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: K5881

Hi Robi56
Well the question is how often do you use it. If it is on 10hrs a day then 4 sets of valves in 7 yrs is not bad, as O/P valves get a hammering.
I would however look at the power line voltage to see what it is, as if it is say 250 as opposed to 230 then 10% high will cause the amp to eat valves. Measure the heater voltages as well to see that they are around 6.3v AC/DC.
because you have fitted higher power handling valves doesn't mean they will last any longer, in this amp I would stick with the 5881s.
5881s seem to be very robust and from my experience do not seem to suffer catastrophic failure as often as other O/P types.

John aka Dr John
Old 23rd June 2006, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Robi

Ditto John's coments; OP pentodes such as these are only rated for approx 2000 hours by Svetlana themselves. That would be 3 hours a day for 2 years. When I ran my Kit88 all day, sure enough, I got through a set of valves in about 18 months and considered that fine.

A cynic might chip in that was part of the attraction of transistors running in class B...

However, life will depend on how hard the valves are driven. K5881 runs them at 24W plate dissipation in theory but this may vary with mains voltage. If you've not done it,
(check cathode voltage and divide by 560)
and multiply by
(the voltage you measure at the anodes less the cathode voltage)
to find plate dissipation.
If it's high change the cathode resistors to 680R.

The other thing to check (or change to new plastic ones) are the coupling caps C5/6 in case they are leaking elctrically and causing the valves to turn on more than they should.

Rich
Old 23rd June 2006, 03:26 PM

I've used 6L6 svets and the Harma's on my 5881 and the plates glow a very dulll red, not easy to spot unless the room is really dark. The supplied 5881's never had this issue.
Old 28th June 2006, 01:04 PM

Thanks for the info.
I measured the mains and it is 244V, so probably that is the root of my problems. Where I lived when I made the amp had a lower voltage & I never checked it since.
I had already changed the cathode resistors to 600Ohms and when I follwed Rich's suggestion and mesured the working channel that gives me an annode disipation of 28.8W. I hate to think what it was with 560! No wonder 5881s didn't like it.
I changed the blown cap and put a spare pair of K5881 in the damaged channel. During power up I heard a faint pop in the speaker and the valve started to glow red - cathode bypass capacitor shorted (100V Black Gate).
Now (with no capacitor fitted) the cathode voltage on that valve just keeps going up and the valve gets red. Input coupling capacitor does not seem to be leaky, I have tried different valves. It goes steadily up to 70V where I turn off again. The other valve of the pair seems fine. I'm mystified by this, any ideas?
Old 28th June 2006, 01:56 PM

Hi Rob

Does the problem move with the valve (=dead valve) or not (=probable damaged cathode resistor)?

I'm assuming it's a cathode bias amp as I don't have a diagram.

Mark

PS - Just read your note again. If you are getting 70v on the cathode that should put a cathode biased amp at -70v bias. This would get the valve fairly near cut-off which it surely isn't. Can you check the voltage on the control grid with the amp running (briefly)? It would seem possible that the coupling cap might be leaking at higher voltages which you may not see on a simple resistance check.