World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 7th August 2006, 04:06 PM

Default Gremlin 2 !! Please Help

Hi folk's,i would be most greatfull for some help with a recurring problem.I've had problems since i built my kel84 with the right ecf80 resonating,it produces a whineing noise which stops if i tap the glass side of the valve.I thought i'd cured it with a change of mains tx and some mullard valves,however on swapping these for two telefunken ecf80s the whine returned not good.I opened it up again and looked over everything,all seems fine.I went through the measuring procedure again and i have a couple of readings outside the 15 percent allowed.
Valve-1 pin-3 =97volts. valve-2 pin-3 =86volts. rated at -110volts.

Valve-1 pin-6 =90volts. valve-2 pin-6 =87volts. rated at -75 volts.

Valve-1 pin-9 =87volts. valve-2 pin-9 =89volts. rated at -75 volts.

Valve-3 pin-2 =.07volt valve-4 pin-2 =0.3volt. rated at -0 volts.

Valve-5 pin-2 = 0 volt valve-6 pin-2 =0.2volt. rated at-0 volts.

Do these reading's set off alarm bells.could they be responsable for the ressonance in the right ecf80?
Despite this problem the amp sounds great,so i'm thinking that there cant be that much wrong with it.
The mains voltage at the time of testing read 248volt so quite high but reasonable.
I like this amp very much so i'd especially like to sort it if possible.
Old 8th August 2006, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Gremlin 2 !! Please Help

I've refitted the Mullard ecf80's, no more whine.. Either there is an awful lot of dodgy versions of this valve around, or i've still got a slight problem which is masked somehow by the Mullards. At present it sounds fine so i am just going to continue using it, unless someone has other advice.
Old 10th August 2006, 06:00 PM
WD Archivist

Bumping this to the top again because Dave hasn't had a response and I'm not familiar with KeL84. It seems to me that the first three readings listed are ok, but I wonder about the measured voltage (although small) on pins that should read zero. Can anyone help out?

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 11th August 2006, 04:05 PM

I have the same problem with my KEL84. It only happens once in a while, and it seems to be happening less and less (i've only had it built for a couple of months). There was a suggestion in response to my post (see KEL84 Whistle) that it could be due to the speaker cables or zobel network, though I didn't find a solution. So any help would be doubly appreciated. Incidently, what is the impedance of your loudspeakers? Mine are 4 Ohm, dont know if that will make a difference.
Old 11th August 2006, 05:03 PM

Hi Hooger,im using speakers rated at 6 ohm.I've found that the noise(in mine) is coming from the fillament of the right ecf80 it seems to resonate though not all the time.I tried different make's and the least affected seem's to be mullard's version(£5) each from langrex supplies.It still does it though not as badly.I blew 60 odd quid on some cryo treated telefunken versions and they,after a brief run in screeched horribly so im .I've calmed down a bit now (these were marketed as being free from such pish) im now feeling a bit Leonard Cohen,to say the least.I've had few sugestions for help so im scunnered with it now and i've ordered a icon audio stereo 40i so i hope to be whine free real soon.Some people seem to be happier arguing about the right's and wrong's of forum protocol while pointing out that the purpose of this forum is to support Worid Audio's product's.Ive waited three month's to try to resolve this while tryin to maintain my temper!.The most annoying thing is that when it work's correctly it's one of the best amp's i've heard regardless (almost) of cost. I'd like to thank Greg for his support with my diy
effort,your a star,the cables are great by the way.
Old 11th August 2006, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

David

The guys on here will mostly help if your problem rings bells with them. This is a self-help forum and there have been fewer people building WAD/WD amps recently due to the lull before Peter took over. It's also tricky to diagnose problems at a distance.

Have you asked Peter for help? There used to be a help service available.

Alternatively if you get over this way, Nottm, and can leave it with me I'll fix it.

Rich