World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 20th February 2021, 11:22 PM

Default BBC iPlayer

A bit off topic, but when accessing the iPlayer, a notice comes up that from 10 March, I shall have to invest in some electronic gizmo in order for my already smart telly to receive programmes for which I have just paid the licence and which previously were free.

The BBC output is becoming of increasing irrelevance to my watching preferences and in consequence, I am now tuning in only infrequently to Auntie Wireless for Choral Evensong on Wednesdays and even less frequently to their TV output. Evidently, the broadcaster has adopted some technology that, most inconveniently, requires the adoption of some element not in general use if one is to continue receiving iPlayer programming. This is of no great inconvenience to me, but Mrs Trousers is going to find it a monstrous irritation. When Momma ain't happy, nobody ain't happy.

Is there any way around this nonsense, and what's it all about anyway?
Old 21st February 2021, 09:48 AM

Default Re: BBC iPlayer

Erm, that's not a BBC iPlayer 'thing'. It's due to the Sony telly. Mine's the same, but I stopped using iPlayer on it. I found an Amazon stick is much faster and more stable.
Tiny bit of info here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/q...y-closure-2021
Old 21st February 2021, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Baggy, Is it a Sony?

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/s...icles/00178923

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/q...y-closure-2021

We have 2 x KDL43 Sonys which have always been slow and clunky. Seriously we joke that we'll go and warm the set up if we plan on watching something.

So I just checked ours by loading iPlayer and didn't get the notice. Then I checked the sticker and they are 2016 manufacture. This problem applies to 2015 and earlier (yes just 6 years old). So I confidently expect ours will stop working next year...

Last edited by Richard; 21st February 2021 at 11:40 PM. Reason: rambling
Old 21st February 2021, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

On a practical note,

we have a Now TV stick in the back (wall wart powered and plugs into an HDMI socket) for other stations and includes iPlayer in it's apps. It does work very well, this one I think, but check what services are included,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOW-TV-Smar...60227720&psc=1
Old 21st February 2021, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
Yes, smart TVs not so smart are they My 42” LG LG620V-ZA must be at least 8 years old now but still working fine but there are no longer updates for it and hasn’t been for at least 6 of the 8 years I have had the thing. Iplayer Netflix works fine other apps and YouTube fail.

But I no longer use the apps on the TV as it is so slow and irritating to use. I now have one of my PC connected up veer one of the HDMI inputs and run Iplayer and Netflix YouTube and others from the pc. much less hassle and loads up instantly and as the PC is up in the loft there is no fan noise I am considering maybe getting a mini PC for this job only

I also am not watching much of the BBC now ether the content is mostly not of any interest to me nowadays
I am considering the idea of just getting a monitor to replace the 42” LG next time round as I only use the optical out and HDMI inputs on it so can just connect up my Free sat Recorder Blue Ray DVD. Players and my PC and away we go.
I welcome your views guys on doing it this way or not. Let me know what you think the pros and cons are on just using a monitor as the TV
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 21st February 2021, 06:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the help.

Yes, it is a Sony - KDL40W - which I'm astonished to discover has been working faultlessly for six years. I could have sworn it was only about eighteen months old! I'm wondering about the "performance issues" which the Beeb claims are causing them to discontinue support of certain models. Strange that there have not been any "issues" for six years. The man installed iPlayer when he delivered the set and it has functioned entirely satisfactorily since. Why would Sony have different architecture (is that the right word?) for different models of domestic sets? All very confusing. I suppose I shall have to invest in something which plugs into the HDMI hole at the back, but I really object to having to obtain some go-faster device to accommodate the convenience of the BBC; particularly since the TV is hardly "old". I wish this had happened before I handed over my annual subscription.

I have not felt so discomfited since the days of living in London and having to adjust the vertical hold on my 8" Bush every time a bus went past. Blimey! That was sixty years ago! You're right Colin - not so smart at all.

Don't go away - I'm bound to need help with this.
Old 21st February 2021, 08:01 PM

This has happened before. I have a Sony KDL32 something-or-other which I bought on Boxing Day 2010. Around about October 2013 it flashed up an error saying that two months hence the installed version of iPlayer would no longer work as it would not be supported by the BBC. Plus ca change...

I bought a Roku, which is the same as a Firestick or Now TV device but not affiliated to any organisation. Still working now, seven years later.