World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 26th September 2023, 03:36 PM

Default Hearing aids

Hi All
Just thought I’d share this with you I have dramatic high frequency hearing loss, virtually nothing after mid range but good low to mid hearing so……….

After nearly 25 years of arguing with my local NHS hospital audiology dept on my latest check up I lost it and told them what I thought of the service.
Luckily I had a techy who listened (or was too shocked at my outburst to object) and I now have a set of aids that work.
No not perfectly, nothing will unfortunately.
I have a set which had a small polythene plug that goes in the ear so I can at least use what I have left instead of the large plastic plug that blocked almost all sound and my ear.

Bonus no feedback when used with phones like Sennies AKG or Beyerdynamics cans
Martin
Old 27th September 2023, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Hearing aids

Hi Martin,
Found my NHS audiology dept to be very au fait and helpful. Interesting, as I have been wearing NHS aids (Danish RE types) for approx 8 years and they have always had "tulips" ie flexible thin PVC cups on the ends of the tubes.
Interested to ask if any other forum members are suffering hearing loss and what they do about it.
My response is at least 6dB down around 8kHz

John
Old 28th September 2023, 08:09 AM

I too have NHS hearing aids similar to Johns, I have had these for about 8 years and only worn them twice, they are not very comfortable but do work in a quiet environment but, in say a noisy pub they just jumble all the sound together, it is not nice , as for music, I have trouble hearing cymbals when listening to speakers, but though my Stax system it is much better and this is what I mainly use now, oh the joy of getting old . On the other hand, Janet now has NHS hearing aids, these are very small and blue tooth compatible, she likes them. Bob
Old 28th September 2023, 10:02 AM

I suffer from a bit of tinnitus now and then. It comes and goes. A friend at work who suffers with it worse than I do tells me it is age related. I find listening to music helps to distract me from it. I also listen to music quite loudly.

I think I am also losing some high frequencies. My significant other laughs at me when I can't hear grasshoppers chirping all around us when she can hear them loud and clear.

Why is youth wasted on the young!

Can somebody design some valve hearing aids for adding to the WD product catalogue?
Old 28th September 2023, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimN View Post
I suffer from a bit of tinnitus now and then. It comes and goes. A friend at work who suffers with it worse than I do tells me it is age related. I find listening to music helps to distract me from it. I also listen to music quite loudly.

I think I am also losing some high frequencies. My significant other laughs at me when I can't hear grasshoppers chirping all around us when she can hear them loud and clear.

Why is youth wasted on the young!

Can somebody design some valve hearing aids for adding to the WD product catalogue?
Look at tinnitus this way.
You carry your music with you no need for an IPod ��
It also save listening to music to get to sleep too
Bit Zen but it works for me I listen to it when I’m bored

Martin
Old 28th September 2023, 03:54 PM

Pardon, what did you all say, now where are my reading glasses . Bob
Old 28th September 2023, 03:58 PM
Super Moderator

Hi All
What was that you said there I didn't catch that
It has been some time now since I last had a hearing test
But I recall my left ear was good up to about 14k and my right was higher up the frequency range just can't recall by how much that was now thought

But this is the reason I have to use a Balance control or sit off-center otherwise the left sound stage imaging is pulled in more to the inner left speaker and the right sound stage imaging is right where it should be or it can be way too far right depending on the recordings but saying that it may also be my room that's adding to the imaging issues

I also get tinnitus in my left ear from time to time but it fads away once I start to try and ignore it
I found by accident using my headphones and my single generator I was able the tepary cancel out the tinnitus by running up the generator to the same frequency as the tinnitus it was possibly being canceled out by the generator frequency as the tinnitus went away for a good length of time maybe I should try it again next time the tinnitus come back
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 28th September 2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi Martin,
Found my NHS audiology dept to be very au fait and helpful. Interesting, as I have been wearing NHS aids (Danish RE types) for approx 8 years and they have always had "tulips" ie flexible thin PVC cups on the ends of the tubes.
Interested to ask if any other forum members are suffering hearing loss and what they do about it.

John
Hi John and Bob,
Well my audiology dept has been terrible, no help, no discussion just do as we say, and it was always a fight to get an appointment leave alone a re test. One of the reasons I have not gone private with “receiver in ear” aids is their adamantly saying only ear moulds will work. I then felt the private compnaies were just selling their products and the “promise” of a refund (should they not work) would be difficult to use. I didn’t relish loosing upwards of £6K either
However since lockdown the dept has changed out of all recognition. They listen, are helpful and are willing to discuss alternatives. Even the receptionist has changed in person and attitude.
I have been booked on a focus group to feed back the experience of using the aids after 16-20 weeks use and follow up hearing test too.
It’s chalk and cheese. It’s a service that’s working at last.
So glad I can save the £6k
Martin
Old 14th December 2023, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Caswell View Post
Hi Martin,

John
Steaming somewhat astern of the fleet, as usual, but for some years I too have had to rely on this wretched audio reinforcement. Spent £3,000 of my own money a couple of years ago to avoid the NHS rigmarole. However, have now been driven back into the arms of the state system; currently with some Italian aids which are quite good and certainly provide plenty of gain.

But, unlike other stuff I've had, these have the speakers within the body of the behind-ear case, the noise coming down a small diameter "Gosport tube". This removes the immediacy and clarity enjoyed with the transducers directly in the dome. I'm pursuing things but am not hopeful.

And I suspect my system might be defective as the Denon test disc will not produce anything above 6k unless I have my ears on, good buddy. What I find most irritating is having spent a fortune in seeking a flat response curve on the gramophone, I'm now distorting everything in order to hear things! Bummer!

But as I think I might have said before, there is much satisfaction to be derived from listening to the best, even if you can't hear it!

Merry Christmas to those who are left.
Old 15th December 2023, 03:59 PM

Oh dear, the joy of getting old . Bob