World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 6th July 2006, 02:45 PM
graeme

Default my wd25a experiences

well, they turned up today.
Packaged superbly, everything was there, and as i asked,a spare piece to try finishes on.
I even got a free craft knife (i dont think that was supposed to be included)

Im impatient so i went out and bought some string clamps, not quite the best but they give reasonable pressure, and they were cheaper so i caould buy two and clamp them together above and below the LF unit arpeture.

First one went together easily enough, although i feel i should point out that the fit of the top and bottom panels is not great.
I could already tell from the pictures that the edges of the top/bottom panel are slightly inset from the sides, no big deal, but the rebates (i think thats the right term) in the sides/front/rear dont allow the T/B panels to sit fully home, leaving about 1/16 gap. No biggie, but they would be neater if this was addressed.

Over the next couple of days ill get the cabinets built and treated, im going to try danish oil, at least thats what i bought. Ill try it on the test panel first though.

ill keep this thread updated as i go.
Old 7th July 2006, 11:26 AM
graeme

Default Re: my wd25a experiences

well, both cabinets are built.
I filled the small gaps to the top/bottom panels with glue to neaten them up.

I tried the finish on the scraps and its very nice.
I sanded it down with 800, then 2 coats of oil, letting it dry inbetween. Then i sanded it again with 1200 and added a 3rd coat.
Looks good.
Ive got the first coat on the cabinets and it really brings the grain out nice, they will look lovely when finished. Should get the cabinets finished today, so can add the components tomorrow.
Ill get some pics up when their done.
Old 7th July 2006, 12:29 PM

Piccies...piccies... we want piccies

DTB
Old 7th July 2006, 12:34 PM
graeme

ill get some up when the cabinets are finished
Old 7th July 2006, 12:35 PM

Excellent, well done.

Now all we need are some listening results and the pics.....

ONE LOVE
Old 7th July 2006, 12:44 PM
graeme

Listening results wont be till mid next week at the earliest, i tore down my lenco to finish it, so need to do that too.
Ill update that thread soon too. Ive welded the chasis back together and now need to grind it back, fill and paint it so i can put it back together.
Everything is in bits right now, and yet im still considering starting a new amp too. I realy should concentrate on one thing at a time
Old 7th July 2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme

First one went together easily enough, although i feel i should point out that the fit of the top and bottom panels is not great.
I could already tell from the pictures that the edges of the top/bottom panel are slightly inset from the sides, no big deal, but the rebates (i think thats the right term) in the sides/front/rear dont allow the T/B panels to sit fully home, leaving about 1/16 gap. No biggie, but they would be neater if this was addressed.
The fit is meant to be precise. I think what has happened in this case is that some humidity has caused the top and bottom to expand in dimension slightly. We will check this and adjust the tolerances accordingly.
Old 7th July 2006, 03:12 PM
graeme

Good. I thought twice about mentioning this, but thought you would benefit from any niggles as much as anyone else would.
Its not a big problem, but one which would be nice if it was addressed.
I think the small top vertical brake sits ever so slightly proud of the sides, and the rebates on the sides and front/back are not quite deep enough to allow the top to sit home.
There may well have been some swelling of the MDF, its not a stable material and is suspetable to moisture.
Unfortunately they are all glued up now, if i'd thought about it i would have measured to see exactly whats going on.

On the second cabinet the bottom fitted fine, but the top was still proud.

However, sitting there, partly oiled, they do look good

Another hour and i can give them the second coat.
Old 7th July 2006, 03:20 PM

Just as a warning to anyone else about MDF if you are thinking of using it. We have measured some panels which came into us as 18mm thickness. They left the timber factory at 17.6mm and arrived with us at 18.7mm. We put some cuts in the bottom simmering oven of the AGA for 24 hours and they came out at 17.8mm. MDF cut board soaks up moisture like a sponge!
Old 8th July 2006, 02:10 PM
graeme

well, there finished.
Sorry, pic is really poor!!

The cabinets are darker in real life than the pic shows.
I really like the finish with danish oil.
I might however, at some point, lightly rub em down again and give them a very light finish coat. But they play tunes now, and that the important part.

As for how they sound? Well, ive only been listening to them for 30 mins so cant really say till they settle.
Straight out of the box as it were, they do lots very well and impress in some ways. I tried to fight it, but one track made me smile then giggle. I tried not to, but couldnt help it.
They have their weaknesses, but thats because they have not run in.
It seems that with every minuite i can here them improve!
Im SURE that all the bad points will go within the next few days as they are already dissapearing. I also usually listen to vinyl, but the TT is still in bits, so listening to CD.

I think ill throw loads of drum and bass though them for a while, that'll loosen em up

Overall, impressed and pleased so far, and they can only get better!!