World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 30th April 2007, 03:29 PM
IDM 2A3

Default TDA1541A I/V conversion

Finally got my CD Pro2m transport working with my TDA1541A double crown homebrew DAC. This currently has passive I/V followed by Thorstens ECC88 valve output stage.

The CD player sounds great, however, I always want more!! I have heard people say that there are better ways of carrying out I/V conversion than the simple resistor arrangement and am currently contemplating the use of Peda Rogic's design uaing a 2SK170 and AD844, possibly still followed by a valve stage. There are also a few designs using discrete transistors such as IRF610's floating around.

Does anyone have any experience of different designs?

Cheers,
Ian
Old 30th April 2007, 07:13 PM
Stu2006

Default Re: TDA1541A I/V conversion

Ive got something you might be interested in trying. PM me
Old 1st May 2007, 08:28 AM
IDM 2A3

Hi
Have sent PM

Cheers
Ian
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:29 PM

I've tried a few I/V stages with this dac, Pedja's AD844 common base is one of my current favourites, I'm going to try out the Pass D1 next
Old 3rd May 2007, 05:12 PM
Stu2006

I have a Pass D1 and psu, constructed 1 month ago Ive nothing to do with it as Ive gone in another direction. Thats the info I had for Ian!
Old 3rd May 2007, 09:13 PM
IDM 2A3

I was thinking of trying Pedja's design but taking the output after the first opamp (pin5) and feed that into a triode output stage.

The other alternative is the D1 design. The problem being that the PSU's are quite different and I don't want to build both. Secondly the Pedja design uses 78 series regulators which I believe are not so good. I suppose I could use LM317 and LM337 regs, though I had also considered super-regs (expensive).

The CDplayer as it stands uses a CDpro2m with separate powersupplies for the display/controller and for the 5v and 9v supply. The DAC is homebuilt around TDA1541A double crown with super regs for the +5V, -5V and -15V. I/V conversion is passive and feeds Thorstens ECC88 triode output stage.

All the transformers, rectifiers and smoothing caps are in a seperate box (like Naim).

I am pretty pleased with the player so far, but would like to take it as far as I can.

Cheers,

Ian