World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Old 2nd March 2006, 02:04 PM

Default Parts for 300B PSE

Having acquired an unfinished kit I've now determined that a few components are missing. Thankfully this amounts to just a few capacitors i.e. C7/8, C9/10 and C15. Can anyone help with the souce of the originals?

My box of bits also includes a selection of Jensens and Black Gates, however one pair of Jensens is 0.27uf rather than the original 0.22uf part, are they useable?

Finally, the original bridge rectifiers are missing from the box, but look to have have been replaced by four marked GBPC 3506W, are these direct replacements?

Any help would be appreciated.

Paul.
Old 2nd March 2006, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Parts for 300B PSE

Hi Paul

Initially do not go and spend a fortune on "boutique" bits and pieces.
So C7/8 were 47µF/350V can type, snap in from RS/Farnell/CPC/Arrow mounted horizontally in capacitor clips as shown.
C9/10 100µF/500v Wire ended axial types sourced from above, mounted underneath/on top of tagboard
C15 10µF/250V wire ended axial type sourced as above, mounted underneath/ on top of tagboard.
The 0.27µF Jensen Paper In Oils, as opposed to the cct diag value of 0.22µF, will not make any noticeable difference to the amp so are quite safe to use.
The bridge rectifiers were not supplied in the original Kit as the 300Bs were AC heated, so I guess these are for the DC heater upgrade. That having been said the type supplied, GBPC3506W, are more that adequate for the job as they are rated at 600V PIV/35A.
If you have any more problems please feel free to pm me or phone me accordingly

Regards

John aka Dr John

Last edited by John Caswell; 2nd March 2006 at 06:35 PM.
Old 3rd March 2006, 12:03 AM

Paul,

so you was the lucky winner of the unfinished kit on ebay then was you?

very nice, a few people on here was watching that item closerly, myself included.

Good luck with the build. Looks like you have got yourself a cracking amp there!

Paul
Old 3rd March 2006, 05:31 AM

Hi Paul
Dr John has it the wrong way round (very rare to see a mistake from the Doctor!), the 100uf/500V C9/C10 were the can type with snap-in terminals - try to source ones with the right diameter to suit the cap mounting clips - were the clips included?
The 47uf/350v C7/8 were the axial wire-ended type.
There were two bridge rectifiers per monoblock in the standard kit, one for the 6au6 heaters and one for the cathode follower HT +/- supply. The 2KBP02 is available from RS at 69 pence each (395-2954). RS also list a W04G (659-832), which is rated 400V and looks like the one supplied with the original kit. Can anyone confirm that this would be OK at 150-0-150 input, +/- 195 output @ 13ma?
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:43 AM

I tend to use the Maplin W04 version at 18pence, though looks the same.

Martin
Old 3rd March 2006, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Hi all
Oops!! sorry! Bad day at the loony bin and senile decay setting in. Soon to collect my pension
It looks as though additional upgrade components were purchased because the thing that puzzles me are the bridge rectifiers GBPC3506W as these are not HT/small heater current rectifiers but heater type rectifiers. Also Jensen PIOs were not in the original kit
The rectifier versions Max quotes are, according to the original bumf in the supplement, correct for the 6AU6 heater and the ±195V supplies. The W04G is identical as far as ratings are concerned to the W04 and is a suitable replacement for it.

John aka Dr John
Old 3rd March 2006, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the very helpful responses, such assistance gives me significant extra confidence.

Paul - Yes it was me, I have always fancied buying a pair and seeing these on e-bay galvanised me into action. However, what I didn't know until a few days ago was that WAD were out of action, hence my relief in finding the forum still running under a new title.

Max - No the capacitor clips were not included

Two further points:
i) what's the accepted wisdom on the best valves to use?
ii) both on/off switches are damaged, shafts pushed back through the switch, does anyone know the source for these?

Many thanks,
Paul.