World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 22nd February 2018, 11:04 AM

Default KEL84 advice -please...

Newbie here, and completely new to Valve amps (although I do have a Schiit Saga pre-amp). I have been contemplating an inexpensive valve power amp - just to put toes into the waters. At present I have a Saga + DADA-modded Quad 306 + Living Voice speakers (efficiency: 94dB. 6 Ohms).

As I don't seem to be able to source a 2nd-hand KEL84 (I just lost one on the AoS site (£350)), my mind turns to a KEL84 kit (yes I can use a soldering iron).

My questions are:

1. If I buy the 'improved' version of the kit (a power-amp...NOT the integrated version), what simple extra mods may be worthwhile?

2. Would the (considerable) extra outlay on the KT88 be a better bet in the long run?

I will be near Totnes soon so may go over to WD to collect.

Thanks.
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:05 PM

Default Re: KEL84 advice -please...

Hi Bonky and welcome, all this depends on your ability to build the amp's, the KEL is PCB based, and therefor so much easier, the WA88 is all point to point wiring, and more difficult, plus, the WA88 is more powerful, you should not need much power if you are going to use your mentioned speakers, if you do chose to build either, build in standard form first, and spend some time getting to know your new creation, there is a lot of help on here if you have any questions during your build. With all Hi-Fi a better cleaner power supply is most beneficial, and this would be my first advice on upgrading. BOB
Old 22nd February 2018, 01:38 PM

Hi, thanks for the welcome and advice.

My mains supply is 'cleaned' by a PureSound AV except for the amp which is plugged directly into an unswitched wall socket (this seems to be the advice in so many forums). Is this what you meant by a better PS?

I was just thinking that whilst I was busy soldering the giblets into the case I may as well incorporate any simple mods...but your advice is to stick to the original design ....Thanks; makes life easier!

Best wishes,

Richard / Bonky
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:00 PM

Hi Richard, no, I do not mean mains conditioners, when I say a cleaner power supply, I am referring to the high voltage DC that is, inside and powering the amp. and consequently driving the speakers, albeit, now oscillated by the amp, a better power supply. BOB
Old 22nd February 2018, 02:38 PM

...I thought not Bob; thanks.

What PS would offer an upgrade?

(Nothing to do with £100+ 'audiophile' fuses I hope! (http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/2...diophile-fuses))

Richard.
Old 22nd February 2018, 03:39 PM

It is just better components after the transformer, diodes (Shottky) or other fast recovery types and low ESR (equivalent series resistance ) capacitors, for the likes of Evox Rifa. Try and find out more about the subject, it is all part of the upgrades available for WD products. BOB