World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 20th April 2018, 07:07 PM

Default K5881 Stereo Power Amp

I have a Stereo K5881 mki Power Amp, is it possible to use this as a monoblock if another K5881 mki Stereo Power Amp is paired with it ?
Would any mods to the amps be required ?
My amp has delivered a performance I never thought was available from it, as a result of driving it with a Slagle AVC.
This has got me thinking about getting more from the set up and the monoblock come to mind.
Old 20th April 2018, 08:22 PM

Default Re: K5881 Stereo Power Amp

If you get another, you can bi amp your speakers , but as for turning each into mono amp's, it's possible, but will require a major redesign. BOB
Old 21st April 2018, 12:31 AM

The 5881PSE came with specific instruction how to wire it as a monoblock, something involving the 15ohm lead from the output transformers (for 8ohm speaker). Would have to dig it out and think if this would be less simple with a push-pull.
Alastair
Old 21st April 2018, 07:29 AM

I completely forgot about Bi Amp set up.
I like the idea of Option 1, one amp driving one KLS 3, with as short a speaker cable possible. This may mean I have a slightly different build spec driving each speaker as both amps are built by different individuals.
The other option 2, is to have one amp driving one set of drivers on each speaker, using longer speaker cables.
Option 3, have both amps checked out by a engineer and if both are matched use Option 1.
Old 28th April 2018, 08:57 AM

The amp I was looking at that got my Monoblock idea kick started vanished from the auction finished.

The good news for me is that the Electronics Engineer building the 845 Monoblocks, has informed me that the end of May is a realistic date to finish the build, as his work load has become more manageable.

Having thoroughly convinced myself the Slagle AVC is a device to drive my K5881. As a result I am thinking about tweaking my power amp.
Is there any suggestions available, that would uplift the performance of a K5881 MKI, for a affordable cost for the modifications,
all thoughts are welcome ?
Old 29th April 2018, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

Hi John, are you using the AVC now? How do you find the quality and volume, does it feel as though there is enough drive? I've only heard one AVC pre which was very smooth and sweet but lacked a little ooomph.

Passive pres generally need a sensitive power amp so an obvious mod to try for your K5881 might be to convert it to MkII design which was done for sound improvement but also increases sensitivity to 75mV.

The MkII changes are detailed in Nov 1996 supplement article and MkII component tweaks are in Feb 1997 article on the Platinum disc http://www.world-designs.co.uk/cd%20rom.htm