World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 25th September 2020, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Default difficult without a Smartphone in today’s world

Hi All
Well guys. I never have had the need for a Smartphone to date but it seem life is getting more difficult without a Smartphone in today’s world so looks like I will have to bit the bullet and get one trouble is I know nothing about what I need and what to buy.

Other than it must be the contract-free and best bang for the buck and cost something between £150/250 max
Why have I not got a Smartphone well I am old school and don’t phone anyone except on my home phone and I don’t use text? Pointless as I am dyslexic. And if I go out somewhere for the day can do that for a while but I don’t want people phoning me or being tracked on what I am doing etc

All good reasons not to the have a phone in my view. But things are getting harder to do like logging on to varies thing on line this is becoming a pain as everyone takes it for granted you have a Smartphone these days and some will not help you if you tell them Your don’t have a fringing Smartphone. My rant on having to buy something I don’t want.
Any guidance on what to buy is Welcome guys
Thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member
Old 25th September 2020, 06:49 PM

Default Re: difficult without a Smartphone in today’s world

Is this for logging in to the bank etc, when they send a code number to check it is really you? I just use an ordinary mobile to receive the text, not a Smartphone.
Cost me £9.95 . I am supposing that you can still get ordinary mobiles these days.

The only times I feel any lack of one is for booking things while in the Great Metropolis of Edinburgh, or for e-tickets, or possibly a streetmap.
Old 25th September 2020, 06:56 PM

Become an old git and get yourself a Doro.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 25th September 2020, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Become an old git and get yourself a Doro.
Thanks, phil
I kinda missed your post there.
i had to google Doro.
Should be some helpful info there to go thought thanks but I’m not resigning to being an old git just yet.
So I guess I am trying to get some idea of what specs I can get in my price range £150/250
Things like what OS storage size types of processors power memory-size model brands to go for and stuff etc.
thanks
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s

Old 26th September 2020, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Morning Col,

Wife, daughter, and I have had Motorola models for over 10 years since the flip phone era and been happy with them.
We've always bought in the mid-price range you mention and you do get a decent model for that.
Like a computer, check the Ram and Storage, Processor if you are really techie, and operating system, we stick to Android. To a large extent we go with the price, the herd, and the big stores for value as these are a huge mass market item which only survives if it works.

Present models we have from the last year or two are,
daughter and I Moto G6 Plus and wife the slightly newer and smaller Moto G7 Play.
We buy them outright and unlocked then get a monthly SIM only deal from Virgin in our case. We Pay £9 month and get more data than I ever use and essentially unlimited texts and call minutes.
Physical size is a balance between seeing/using it and getting the thing in your pocket but you do get used to the larger ones and they're great for stuff like You tube and Whatsapp video calls etc.
Old 26th September 2020, 10:30 AM
WD Archivist

Yep, cheapest is to buy the phone outright at the beginning. Not an inclusive contract from a service provider, but buy from an independent supplier. John Lewis is usually good for this. I use iPhone and buy direct from Apple. This way, your phone will be unlocked from the outset and you can use it with any service provider of your choice. Then search the service providers for the most affordable SIM only contract that suits you. I’m with ‘three’. I pay £11 a month for unlimited data, unlimited phone calls and unlimited text messages
Old 25th September 2020, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Stuart View Post
Is this for logging in to the bank etc, when they send a code number to check it is really you? I just use an ordinary mobile to receive the text, not a Smartphone.
Cost me £9.95 . I am supposing that you can still get ordinary mobiles these days.

The only times I feel any lack of one is for booking things while in the Great Metropolis of Edinburgh, or for e-tickets, or possibly a streetmap.
Hi stuart/All
Well yes but
Sending a code number to check it is really you? Is one thing that now happens but I am not buying a phone just for that.if i am buying a phone I would want some other uses from it for things I do use like apps for Audio functions for the bench like speed checker for the turntables TV remote dare I say it even streaming audio. Taking some photos ho and maybe the odd phone call it needs to be of some use to me other than ID-ing Security codes if I buy something not much in my price range thou