Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13th July 2006, 02:36 AM
Lord.

Question Tweaking Sextets.

Peter,

I asked ages ago if you wouldn't mind answering questions about some of your old 'speaker work. As requested, I've put it in this forum.

I have 'Mk1' Heybrook Sextets that were later upgraded to 'Mk4' spec. with a new bass driver and crossover and, apparently, extra stuffing in the bass enclosure. The crossover diagram is as attached (values kindly confirmed by Guy Sergeant).

Years ago I externalised the crossover, and upgraded the components. The capacitors are now all Solens and the Inductors are 'Falcon' wound, and have slightly less DCR than the originals. This was a good improvement, but I want more!
Namely, more bass depth and(!) punch, and hopefully a little more midband clarity.

Each bass enclosure is well stuffed with three 10" x 8" x 2" slabs of foam and two big teased out handfuls of fibre. Each midrange enclosure is slightly less well stuffed, having one foam slab and one handful of fibre.
The 'speakers are attached to the 8 Ohm (which I believe may be closer to 6 Ohm) taps of my amplifier.

I am replacing the skinny 'Mk1' hookup wire.
I intend to experiment with the damping and try the 4 Ohm taps.
I have also thought about tweaking the tweeter's resistor up slightly to drop HF energy.
(And I had a mad five minutes wondering about cutting out the back of the midrange enclosure!)

Have you any tips or suggestions?
I am loathe to build another brand new crossover, but would welcome any suggestions for tweaking the existing values.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sextet_Mk4_Crossover.jpg (36.0 KB, 250 views)