World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd August 2006, 09:24 PM

Default My Big Active Speaker Project

I know that most of you guys are valve fans so I'm not 100% sure that this will be interesting to anyone, but here goes.

Heres a pic of my big speaker project. The drivers are Seas units and the cabinet is a 100 litre and fully closed. This gives a healthy bass extension down to 42Hz.

I've been working on these on and off for over 2 years and soon will be ordering the faux leather to cover them. Then its down stairs with them, probably in some kind of penned enclosure to allow Kerri time to get to know these strange creatures that are invading her personal space. Yes these have very little WAF.

The amp is solid state so I know some of you guys might have a issue with that. One pic shows the last 2 channels installed but not wired yet. This will make 6 channels in total which is needed as this is an active crossover speaker unit.
The amp has 2 450VA toroid's undernieth the plate which the smaller toroid and the low current power supply sits on. The whole power supply is in a drawer which can be completely removed for testing or further modding later on.

having the low current sections of the amps feed with their own supply make a great difference sound wise. The amp can also be set up for seperate high current supplies feed bass and treble/mid seperately or left and right channels seperately. I prefer left and right channels being feed seperately as there is a better sense of stereo seperation.

This amp has become somewhat of a reference for me to base my feelings about other amps. The only thing I feels it lacks is that wonderful mid range that valve amps have which I find quite seductive.

I just hope that the speaker's perform the same way. If they end up not faring too well in a shoot out I will probably cry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Speakers.jpg (45.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 6 Channel Amp.jpg (65.5 KB, 46 views)

Demand REAL POO!