World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th October 2006, 09:19 AM

Default eBay Chinese Valve amps?

Hi,
Just joined this forum to try to learn more about valve amps as I would like to build one. I noticed that the HiFi World did make a lot of amps but looking now they only have a few, I am guessing things are in the air a bit?
I also looked on eBay and noticed chinese 300B amps for silly money, the amps look great, transformers look big, specs look good - whats the catch? If I were to make one, say a KT88, it would cost more than twice the price of a 300B SE in polished ali with wood sides! I watched a 300B sale last night on eBay, the bidder won it for £150 and had £95 to pay for delivery. That's £245 for a 300B SE, with valve rectification, hard wired and beautiful finish.

Oh, what to do, what to do!
Does anyone have any experience with these amps, there must be some kind of catch, maybe export duties to pay, cheap components, dangeous wiring - something?

Anyhow, dispite the eBay stuff, I would like to build something around the KT66 valve, I looked at the Aurora and that seems quite simple to build, do you think HiFi world will start producing more designs, would it be worth waiting to see what comes out? I think I like the idea of single ended over push and pull. I have looked at transformers at Sowter and they have stuff to match 2 KT66 in pairs.

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance