World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th January 2006, 04:33 PM

Default Gyro Tweaks

Ok. I am back on the Gyro for a bit, while I do some comparisons between aforementioned and Lenco '88'. Sounds very nice, very refined, very detailed, very smooth, but still lacking that emotion and drive of the Lenco. Are there any age old tweaks or tricks I can perform on it to wring some more performance out of it ?? If I can tweak the Lenco, why not the Gyro too ?? I don't want to spend any money on it (well maybe a few quid if need be, but not much), and to date I have this setup :

>> Michell Gyro SE
>> Orbe platter/bearing/clamp and damping kit
>> GyroPower VC
>> Locked the spider feet
>> Fresh oil in bearing
>> New belt
>> Levelled perfectly and suspension bounce spot-on
>> At the moment using 10mm thick, hard rubber washers to mount armboard (this is similar to using blu-tack under the nylon bushes, but also allows for perfect adjustment of armboard in relation to platter/cart)
>> Speed adjusted down in VC to 33rpm spot-on
>> Rega VTA adjuster wound fully down, and arm locked only finger tight using knurled nut

Is there actually anything else I can do, or is that about it, without wasting money on pricey HR PSUs, or OTT silly conversions (a la Gert Pedersson's suspension and mass loading kits) ??
I doubt it will get near the Lenco for drive, slam or emotion, but I can try....
I suspect it is all down to that horrible, rubber belt drive and low-speed, anaemic DC motor.