World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25th January 2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: ER Audio Electrostatics - QUAD ESL beaters.

Dear Sir,

I have just recently found this forum and I was pleased as I’m very interested at ER Audio Acorn speaker kit. At first I would like to mention my setup. I have been using active setup, which I find it better that passive.

I do use 2 Subs Whise Acoustic profunders pro. 624 pasive.I was never subs person however this subs change my approach towards them. I have 3 way digital crossover from DEQX http://www.deqx.com/ which I’m able to:

Magnitude/Frequency response calibration

Phase/Frequency response calibration

Time alignment

Active 3 way digital crossover

Parametric EQ

Room measuring /calibration

Speaker’s measuring/calibration

And more …………

I do use a different amps (6 channels) for 2 active channel audio mostly Digital like NUFORCE SE, H2O, BEL CANTO, and also some solid state like Bryston, Crown

I have used a lot of different speakers mostly cone box type expensive and inexpensive also DIY speakers which I found to be the best but still not there in terms of sound quality. I have to mention the most important that ELS panels from Martin Logan – Odyssey was the best passive setup I have ever had some time ego. Nevertheless I would like to keep active as the potentials are boundless and also after long setup it is worth the effort and the results are really great. However I want to try it with ESL panels particualy with ER audio Acorn model.

I have contact Rob last year from ER audio and make some enquiries he send me his recommendation on how to apply his acorn with active setup but unfortunately I have lost all the info due to moving also my PC lost all files. I ‘m trying now to get contact with Rob but he is provable away .I also find this forum and thought to ask you few question as it seems you know the most having both models at home if you could help me out or have some recommendation it would be great.

With the ESL Panels Acorns they have 3 separated sizes obviously the bigger one is for bass and middle one for mid and the smallest one for high frequencies. Basically what I’m after is 2 ways which I have to make from Acorn to make my setup work as I mentioned I would like to use my subs. So I thought

1) The smaller section with the middle section run as one and let say to run it from 300 Hz, or 400 Hz or 500 Hz to 20000 Hz.

2) The bass section from 80hz to 300 Hz 400hz,500 Hz

3) Use than my sub from 80hz to 20hz

I think that I mention that to Rob but (not sure!) he had a different opinion and I think it was

1) The smaller section use by itself just for the high’s I have no idea where that crossover point would be

2) Use the middle section and also the bass section as one go to 80hz

3) Than use my subs from 80hz down

I have to mention that I’m aware of extra power and audio transformers and so on. If you have any suggestion please let me know even when differ from all this above I would really appreciated as I hope to finish all in the near future.

Thank you

Jiri