World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th March 2006, 12:16 AM
WD Archivist

Default CVH fine silver wire I/C's are out

Having been a strong advocate of this design for a few years (Lord said I was evangelical on the topic) I now have none of them in the system. They had limited application anyway, but I'd retained them between CDP and Pre-amp for this period.

I've just bought Emmylou Harris' 'Heartaches and Highways' on CD (8122 73123-2) as it's not available on vinyl, because I wanted a recording of 'Love Hurts' which is her duet with Gram Parsons. With the CVH it sounded disjointed and the mix did not blend. Grams vocals were at times sibilent and the overall sound was not pleasing. It maybe that the quality of the fine wire design deteriorates over time. I don't know, but swapping in my alternative of IPL Acoustic IC2's restored the sound balance with no sibilance and produced a very enjoyable listen. Bass seemed more extended. Because of this I then went to my favourite bass test being a CD of Bach organ music. Certainly there was more bass revealed with more extention. Kind of riveted you to the seat which was in itself vibrating with the low frequency sound. A very real three dimensional experience. Please note, no sub-woofer involved or needed.

I've stuck with the CVH cable for some time without considering a change, although in the meantime there has been much change to my amplification and maybe that is why I've now moved on. It goes to show that if you introduce one change to a system, it's then worth testing other components in the link as it might be that further benifit can be obtained with simple changes.

Best wishes,

Greg

Last edited by Greg.; 20th March 2006 at 12:21 AM.