World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD Problems For questions and answers re older World Audio Design Projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st March 2006, 03:57 PM

Default KiT88 - Red Hot Valve

Hi All

Last night my KiT 88 amp (with Svetlana 6550C valves) started to crackle loudly and intermittently from the right speaker and valve No 1 became very microphonic. As the loud crackle produced a very large base diaphragm excursion I switched off the amp while I thought about the problem Today on switch-on, I got the crackling (less severe) but not the microphony. To see whether it was valve No 1 that was causing the problem I switched it with valve No 2. Sure enough the crackle moved to the left speaker. After a while, when everything had warmed-up and the crackle had virtually disappeared, I put on an LP. After about a quarter of an hour I heard a pronounced hum from the right speaker (or was it both but I was closer to the right speaker?) and saw that the plate of valve No 2 (the original valve No 1) was glowing dull red. I immediately switched off before anything worse happened It seems that the original valve No 1 has developed a fault, but why the right speaker should hum I don’t know. I obviously(?) need to replace valve No 1. As I have 3 spare, part-worn, Tesla JJ KT88s I was wondering whether I could use two 6550s, in positions 1 & 2 say, and 2 KT88s in positions 3 & 4, i.e. split the two types of valve so that there is one of each per channel? I realise the valves will not be matched but will that be the worst of the problems?

I am assuming that it is a valve that is on the way out but could it be anything else that is causing the problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Fred.