World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd April 2006, 07:40 PM

Question Confused member! Do I want a sugden a21?! Do I want some WD25s?

Hi guys, I haven't been on here for a while. I have a couple of questions as that itch is coming back, and I need to scratch it! Plus I am confused, which is pretty normal really. Ok my system lacks synergy, life etc so...

1) I am looking at the new world-design speaker kits with a view to building some in the near future. However, I am also considering in the future havng a play around with a Sugden A21, as I have always wanted to. So the question arises - how well do you think the A21 would cope with the WD speakers? Are the speakers sensitive enough?

2) Somewhat related to 1) and somewhat confused... After listening to a friend of mines WAD 300B SE monos with some old (massive) klipsch horns - which he is selling by the way (think they were Heresey IIs, well looked after) and doing an amp swap with my KT88 PP Ella. The Ella just didn't have that extra. My friend described it "...as if the door was not completely open". I have to agree, I have always been waiting for the Ella just to let go and sing - but alas not yet! The 300Bs sounded awesome, I could swear Ms Cassidy was somewhere in the room and the door was definitely open! But I fear that they may not be suited to some of my more electronic music (i have a VERY eclectic tatse - as Greg may remember) and a bit of lsitening confirmed this (although t could be speaker specific). Hence I am considering in the future the A21 or maybe a class A transistor kit - like the JLH 15W? The swap made me really consider just how good the Ella is... as I spent a bomb on specing it up with black gates etc - we've all been there - and the 300Bs blitzed it at vocals and clarity.

So after all this rambling what do I want? Well I want to have that feeling again, clarity, hair tingling, the artist infront of me, none fatiguing, fluid, transparent yet powerful sound and all the other imeasurable describey things that hifi mags (except hifi world) harp on about. I want to get five out of five on the Matt-pleasure-ometer. I want to walk away grinning like a guy who just figured out how to make lemon mirangue pie out of two shoelaces and half a scoop of ice cream. But above all I want to be wrapped up in the music, I want to be nearly putting the kettle on but never quite leaving the sofa. And I want a simple system (I will probably keep my Cyrus CD6 source). So an amp and speakers in the £0 - £2000 range new/kit/SH Where should I go? Are the Sugden A21 and WD25s the answer to my prayers?! What should I do?!! Is lemon mirangue pie really that good? Is it even spelt that way? Answers on a postcard!

It is clear that I am confused and have lost my musical mojo. Thank you in advance from a somewhat elusive forum member.

(Oh yeah my speakers, are wilmslow audio vogues (modded))