World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 29th May 2016, 10:41 PM

Default Phono 3S conversion

Hi all,

My name is Stef and I live in the Netherlands. And slowly getting my way around building tube amplifiers and all other audio related gear... I would describe myself as a constructor and not a designer, for instance I know a bit about cathode followers, SE amps, cables and (full-range)loudspeakers. But every time building something I am really depending on advice and design from others....
As such is the case now, I have rebuilt a Yaqin phonostage per instructions from a nice fellow named Les Carpenter. In effect I have built a WAD phono 3S and I was really enjoying it... Without knowing the legacy...
I built it in a wooden winecase and of course it wasn't silent, not even mentioning the 'rat's-nest of building it P2P.
But my skills in routing cables and attention to return-lines has to be bettered as well.
I am planning a rebuild in a metal case, with a separate PSU. But I would really like to swap the ecc83 CF for a ecc88 CF. In my readings and conversations I started to believe the '83 was not really suited for the CF job as an '88 is...

Please, does anyone have thoughts about this, or has someone done this already? Or, is someone willing to design/incorporate an '88 into the phono 3S design?

With kind regards, Stef.