World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th March 2018, 04:54 PM

Default Suitable 'speaker cables for valve amps?

At present I use the Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 0.60mm between my Quad amp and LV 'speakers.
I'm soon to make a KEL84 and wonder if there's any benefit in cable swapping. (I hasten to add I don't think it will but...).

This in one forum:
"Subjectively, twisted cables bring the midrange forward and tighten up the bass. Spacing the conductors further apart and not twisting them has the opposite effect - they give the bass a more relaxed feel with longer decay of notes. Knowing this simple fact can help you correct a system imbalance by matching it to a more suitable cable.
If you have valve amps, you should almost certainly choose twisted cable as this will tighten the bass by reducing the inductance load. Valve amps are notoriously load sensitive which is one reason this works.

A large diameter solid core wire such as Origin Live Soli-Core is highly favoured by valve amp users. No one really seems to know exactly why thick twisted solid core wire works so well on valves but it outperforms exotic alternatives including Litz wires."

See:
https://www.originlive.com/originlik...ker-cable.html

(Looks like mains cable!)

Also: ttps://blackrhodium-uk.shptron.com/p/twirl-speaker-cable-per-metre?pp=12
(foo?)

And: "I have a WAD* KEL 84
Re the speaker cables I use Electrofluidics 20 /20 to great effect" (Expensive).

Any comments?

Thanks,

Bonky/Richard.