World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th February 2019, 06:08 PM

Default Easy speaker placement

Finding the sweet spot for speaker placement has always been a pain in the proverbial. Most of us have speakers that are heavy some have speakers that can induce a hernia.

Then there is the accepted wisdom/ perhaps b/s about how to deal with energy transmitted from and to the floor. Today I found something that definitely helps with placement and maybe helps with the energy transfer problem as well - castor trolleys.

Visiting my local Aldi I saw two types of these, square and rectangular. As I plan to externalise the passive x/overs (active x/overs later) I c hanged my mind from square to rectangular so I can site the x/overs as well.

As Aldis/Lidl sell the same products across Europe - economy of scale, they either have been on sale or will be in the UK, I think it is something that should be of interest to those with speaker based systems - apologies if anyone has already tried this idea.

@ €9.99 each they are a steal, each is capable of supporting 250K. They are described as MDF but in fact are HDF and are covered with a non slip finish, are L570 x W290 x 18mm.

The room my speakers will be in are suspended timber with T&G pine that are is no way ideal. These trolleys are a really good solid construction, I shall have to experiment with continuing to use the excellent Norwegian Soundcare feet or not.

The ideal situation would be a ground floor primary build where it would be easy to decouple the approximate area where the speakers would be situated from the rest of the floor build. Either that or decouple where the equipment rack was to be sited. Either way would enable bass with lots of welly to be played.

Externalising the x/overs has to be beneficial and by siting them on an effectively damping material should yield a clearer more defined sound - let's see.