World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > For Sale/Wanted > Suppliers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Suppliers Recommended Component Suppliers (and the ones to be avoided)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 1st August 2020, 08:09 PM

Default Northwest Analogue cartridge repair

I have given two years' cooling off period debating on whether to post this, given that a near irreplaceable amenity is being supplied.

Having previously seen favourable mention of Northwest Analogue in this forum, I sent a cartridge for repair to Dominic Harper of Northwest Analogue, paying upfront £1000+ in 2016.

My experience was that I suffered over two years of multiple repeated empty assurances again and again that “it would be ready in a couple more weeks”.
If they had simply said it would not be ready for another year or more, I could have accepted that and bought a cheap cartridge to be going on with, but instead I was continually given ever more fanciful explanations what was going on.

I became genuinely concerned that I had been conned out of £1000+ and that the business was no longer operating, so for only the second time in my whole life I was driven to contacting Trading Standards.
After fully two years (let's look at that as 20% of my expectancy before my hearing deteriorates), a formal letter drafted for me produced remarkably prompt results.

Dominic seems hugely knowledgeable and capable, but he absolutely couldn't/wouldn't see that I was trying to explain from a paying customer's point of view, that his whole service was being stabbed in the back by the false facts I was being sent.
He kept repeating, as an answer, how his £1000 worth of work was really worth at least £2000 – in essence he was doing me a favour.
He did not think the paying customer was entitled to a point of view. He even assured me it had been OK to send me these fobbing-off emails, because Natalie (who appears to act as secretary/manager) “didn't always know what was actually happening”.

So, the work was done, but the experience was appalling.