World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Problems For questions and answers re World Designs Projects

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th March 2021, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Phono 3 noise issues

Yes its me back from the dead!
Sorry for being quiet guys, lifes been a bit strange last 3 months but looking up again now the quacks got a grip of my soaring BP!

Ok Bob knows exactly where I am coming from here, I think he followed my experience with the PSU.
I had a really bad issue with LF instability, this was a sub1Hz oscillation that was making the speaker cones flap.
I tried all the tricks, but in the end the only thing that worked was using an aftermarket regulated HT kit which killed all the instability dead.
It's likely that the PCB on the PSU3 may not have been constructed well, this was an allegedly pro built job that had some glaring earthing faults. Nuff said.

As to the background noise, it's a noisy amp, and there's not a lot you can do about it as its valve noise for the most part (Hiss and odd rustles). I found it was very sensitive to Valves that weren't quite up to snuff.
So the best thing to do is to accept the background hiss as once the stylus is in the groove then record surface noise will be louder for the most part.

These days I have been using a home brew Silicon based RIAA preamp that I sweated over last year and the final iteration has been remarkably good. And totally hum and almost hiss free.

There, I am outed and no doubt will end up in the stocks for my heinous sins!

Andy, hoping to get back in the garage and bash some metal soon.