World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Music
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Music Is what it is all about

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12th June 2021, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Vinyl junkie

[quote=Black Stuart;87592]Take a look at discogs, if only to gen up on different pressings - very important. I have been buying replacements for vinyl I've had for decades and some I should have bought back then. Discogs will give you all the info you need like, US pressings, especially the 60s/70s are mostly inferior to UK/European ones and virtually all Japanese ones are unimpeachable - the prices asked and paid confirm this.

Hi, I am resurrecting this slightly old thread.

Black Stuart, on reading your note, I re-visited Discogs which I have not looked at for a very long time and am amazed by the amount of information there. I have not studied it carefully, and see there are ratings (but I am not sure whether they particularly relate to the pressing as all the ones I saw were between 4 and 4 1/2 out of 5.)

Is it easy to see what are regarded by serious listeners as the pressings to have ?

I am more interested in this now as I have just set up a new system which sounds beautiful to me - though some records sound like you are really in the room with the musicians, and some recordings are really dull and you get no sense of reality from the instruments or vocals, even acoustic music.

Many thanks for anyone's opinions on how to tell before buying if a pressing (or even a cd) is truly musical.

Simon