World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th September 2021, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator

Default Stylus Cleaning Methods

Hi All
Just thought it would be interesting to take another look at a subject that hasn’t been discussed in a while on the forum .and that is stylus cleaning even if you no longer play records now how did you do it back then and know for that matter if you are still playing your records.

My carts are the Ortofon 2m Blue and Golding G1042

My most used cart is the 2m blue which I just brushed before and after play with the brush that came with it but I also sparingly use a liquid the Audio-Technica AT607a fluid and the stylus is still very good and is still the original stylus from when I got the cart in 2005

Now my Goldring 1042 is even older costing me £120 so the price has increased somewhat into day’s money it was a trade-in with an Audio-Technica AT-F2 Moving Coil Cartridge. At the time and was not used other than a test setup on my Thorns TD 160 Rega RB250 arm until now as its now back in play on my AR EB101

So only has about maybe 15/20 hours on it now and has only been cleaned by the brush method no liquids used So should I use this Audio-Technica AT607A. Fluid. As it did not harm the Ortofon 2M blue stylus but same may not be true of the Goldring
So how would you go about it?

1. Dry brush only
2. Dry brush plus t sparingly use of the Audio-Technica AT607a fluid
3. A gel such as the Zerodust perhaps
4 Or do you have other methods.
Colin

Turntable Rega 3 custom RB250 with ortofon 2M Blue /other goldring 1042 /WD phono2 /WD CF pre custom converted /WD psu2 /home built JE Labs Single Ended 6SL7/KT66/Speakers Frugal horns Mk1s
Other turntables AR EB101/Thorns TD150mk2/Thorns TD160mk2

If you have trouble reading my posts its because I am a dyslexic member