World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30th August 2022, 07:27 PM

Default Is a drive belt also an acoustic filter for motor noise ?

Donīt know if there are any Linn users on the forum but if there are and you havenīt changed your belt recently I would suggest you try a "blue belt" from Mike Pickwell at Pickwell Audio. pickwellaudio@gmail.com) ( In my case the label size says : 167.5 x 5 x 1 ) No idea what itīs made of or why but Iīd say it has upgraded my fairly basic deck quite substantially for just 25 quid. The Linn original belt costs 50 pounds ! My theory is that it not only helps the platter to revolve at 33 1/3rpm (approx) but somehow fulfills another function as a sort of filter for motor noise because the noise floor off the disc drops quite dramatically. Everything improves, mids, bass, everything. Like having new LPs etc. etc blah, blah. Just try it if you can

P.S. Mike has all sizes of belts for many decks but I can speak only for my case.

P.P.S. It really does have a "right way round" - I had never believed that of any belt I had fitted in 40 years of Linn ownership but now I know itīs true. Try one and then the other. It will hit you in the face. Honest !

Last edited by VantheMan; 30th August 2022 at 07:43 PM.