World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 27th August 2007, 09:01 PM

Default Thanks everyone

Just a quickie to say thanks to all those who bore with my pathetic questions regarding rebating drivers and the nitty gritty of external crossovers etc. etc.
I have just finished the MK1 version of my boxes based on the Seas coaxials and I am very, very impressed. I had no previous experience and I went for the design by a Guy on the zerogain forum (thread called "speakers wot I made) called Tenson because it was so simple even to this simpleton. Basically they are a great improvement over my 5 year old Totem Arros which have served me very well but since I upgraded from Sugden A21a to the A21SE they had seemed a little puny. These new boxes ,admittedly much larger, actually move the air in my room while, if anything, improving on the pin point stereo image, detail and sparkle that my arros had always displayed.
Mk1 version ??? yes, I´m going to make some new boxes, slightly shorter but respecting the baffle step and port size arrangement and Tenson is working on the final version of his crossover.
I now see that by making your own boxes and thanks to some clever people willing to share their knowledge and experience, you can not only save a lot of cash but also extract a certain gut feeling of "je ne sais quoi" that comes from actually having made something that really works.
Thanks again to one and all.
Chris
Old 29th August 2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Thanks everyone

Regarding my Mk 2 boxes. I´d like to make them a bit less behemoth-like (after Totem arros, anything is too big) and I have spoken to the designer and he has given me some new INTERNAL dimensions to work on so long as I respect the previous baffle step/port dimensions. With a view to reducing them a bit more, say, in the width could I use some other material for the sides (Marine Ply springs to mind or anything else for that matter) which, for a given thickness might be roughly equivalent in whatever parameters are considered important (rigidity etc.) to the 19mm MDF I used originally. Also would a sandwich of 2 thicknesses of MDF or whatever be "stiffer" than just one solid piece for a given thickness. I am thinking of sandwiching the front baffle and cutting different diameter concentric holes with a tank cutter thingy to avoid having to use a router (which I haven´t got).
Grateful for any help,
Chris

Last edited by VantheMan; 29th August 2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Lousy spelling