World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Amplifiers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Amplifiers Your DIY amplifier designs

Old 27th January 2009, 03:05 AM

Default KEL84 / 88VA PCB and Schematics

Hi I would like to enter the world of tubes, I am on a very tight budget and really have no money to buy the WD kits, after searching the Web I think the KEL84 and the 88VA fit my needs, specially being both integrated amps.

I would like to know if the KEL84 or the 88VA PCB layouts and Schematics can be downloaded somewhere, our if anyone in this forum can share them with me so I can DIY any of this designs.

Thx, jfb
Old 27th January 2009, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: KEL84 / 88VA PCB and Schematics

Hello,

The schematics are given in the articles in the WD section, Kel84 and WD88. The circuits should work with different components but I'd consider asking WD for a quote on a transformer set at least as 1) getting correct voltages can be a pain and 2) the output TXs are specific to the design, eg, the Kel84 ones are UL tapped at 12.5% etc.

Rich
Old 29th January 2009, 07:55 PM

Hi Richard,

Thx for the schematics info.

About the transformers. I can get someone here (Colombia) to custom hand make the transformers for me, the quality is outstanding and is very cheap for European standards.

But, is there a way of getting the PCBs ART, so I can print them and get someone to make them for me, again, it is very cheap to get someone to make the PCBs for me, but I need the ART to handed to the person who is going to manufacture the PCBs, I know nothing about drawing PCBs in OrCAD or any other PCB design software. The WDKEL84 v3.3 PCB is 32.5 euros without shipping and handling I can get it made here for a fraction of that. I am on a very, very tight budget.
Old 29th January 2009, 08:04 PM

Please bear in mind that this site is run by World Designs, and it might not be considered "polite" to ask openly about copying the PCB of an amp that is in current production !

I know others have purchased PCBs and other parts from World Designs to make their own versions of Pre2 & 3 with some success.

Although PCBs make assembly easier had you considered the option of using tag boards and hard wiring the components. It can be easier for the future when substituting better quality components and i personally prefer building that way.

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:55 PM

Thank you Philip,

Clearly understood. I will consider the options you suggest.

Thx, JFB
Old 4th January 2014, 08:42 PM

Might I suggest nobody opens this zip file without knowing a bit more about the poster.
Would not like to cast aspersions, but I for one am not opening it. Obviously the same applies to Electra's only other (near identical) post.
Alastair

Last edited by A Stuart; 4th January 2014 at 08:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 4th January 2014, 09:52 PM
WD Archivist

See my reply in the WD Amplifier section above.
Old 5th January 2014, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Stuart View Post
Might I suggest nobody opens this zip file without knowing a bit more about the poster.
Would not like to cast aspersions, but I for one am not opening it. Obviously the same applies to Electra's only other (near identical) post.
Alastair
Thanks Alastair, I didn't realise the bb was set to allow zip attachments (which can contain malware).
Electra's post with zip file is now deleted and zip files disallowed. I hope he will re-post with the info in open files such as gif or jpg.