Hi Peter,

All the very best for the future.

Regards,

Greg
Old 31st May 2009, 10:54 PM
NickB

Default Re: Peter Comeau joins IAG

Hi Peter

I presume this means that the design changes for the WD25T will slow down and I can actually order some new bits and fit them to the speakers before you make them obsolete.

Best wishes and have an enjoyable, interesting and lucrative time.

Nick B
Old 1st June 2009, 11:15 AM

[quote=Cobblers;

Then again they created the seminal Beolab 5.[/QUOTE]

Having no knowledge of the Beolab, I followed the link and subsequently Googled the thing to discover absolutely nothing "seminal" about this system, other, perhaps, than its ridiculous 2,5kW rating. These speakers must be phenomenally inefficient or intended for disco addicts suffering permanent impairment; I'm caused to wonder how I have managed with only 50W all these years. But then, I have never been to a discotheque.

Much of the reflective technology appears a revamp of past essays into this field, notably those of Zim-Crother, Burne-Jones et al. Neither is there any novelty in their Acoustic Lens, a device employed by Jensen, Electrovoice, Altec and many others (Goodmans?) probably years before the Messrs Bang or Olufsen were out of their prams. The original "Acoustic Lens" was patented by and a trade name registered to Tannoy in the 'thirties but I don't suppose the "City types" - nor B&O - are likely to be "flattered " or "impressed" by that.

I mean no personal slight, Cobblers, but one of the conditions of getting old - apart from becoming increasingly grumpy! - is a constant irritation by wet-behind-the-ears marketing people, unschooled in most things but particularly history, claiming all manner of advances for the products they are seeking to promote but in shameful ignorance of what has gone before which, in many instances, has been of superior performance.

I should be better-humoured in this glorious weather!

Apologies for straying from the threaded path.

Last edited by Baggy Trousers; 1st June 2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 1st June 2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
Having no knowledge of the Beolab, I followed the link and subsequently Googled the thing to discover absolutely nothing "seminal" about this system, other, perhaps, than its ridiculous 2,5kW rating. These speakers must be phenomenally inefficient or intended for disco addicts suffering permanent impairment; I'm caused to wonder how I have managed with only 50W all these years. But then, I have never been to a discotheque.

Much of the reflective technology appears a revamp of past essays into this field, notably those of Zim-Crother, Burne-Jones et al. Neither is there any novelty in their Acoustic Lens, a device employed by Jensen, Electrovoice, Altec and many others (Goodmans?) probably years before the Messrs Bang or Olufsen were out of their prams. The original "Acoustic Lens" was patented by and a trade name registered to Tannoy in the 'thirties but I don't suppose the "City types" - nor B&O - are likely to be "flattered " or "impressed" by that.

I mean no personal slight, Cobblers, but one of the conditions of getting old - apart from becoming increasingly grumpy! - is a constant irritation by wet-behind-the-ears marketing people, unschooled in most things but particularly history, claiming all manner of advances for the products they are seeking to promote but in shameful ignorance of what has gone before which, in many instances, has been of superior performance.

I should be better-humoured in this glorious weather!

Apologies for straying from the threaded path.

Baggy,

It is very difficult to find anything in engineering terms that hasn't been thought of or even tried in some crude or primitive fashion beforehand, perhaps incorrectly dismissed due to limited understanding, lack of appropriate technology, dearth of previous research, materials, personal bias etc.
The more I get to hear the more I feel there is no one true path within Hifi.
Horny Single ended obsessives haven't discovered the one true path in audio, at best they have discovered their own personal path and often become as blinkered as those into the search for ultra low colouration via muscle amp's actives speakers etc.

I am no B&O lover, however blinkered hatred is silly.
Old 1st June 2009, 06:17 PM

Congratulations and good luck,but you would seem to be a person who makes their own good luck by hard work and determination. So best wishes then!
Paul
Old 1st June 2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charly View Post
I trust, Peter, you'll finish your open baffle project for WD? Best of luck in China.
i think your likely to have to make your own like the rest of us..
baffles have always really been a diy thing.. excepting briggs in the late 50's.. and he was copying the diy brigade at the time, and trying to compete with peter walker, Brigg's book 'audio biographies' shows his influnces very well

best of luck with the baffles through Peter...

and the very best with the new job...

cheers steve
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblers View Post
Baggy,

It is very difficult to find anything in engineering terms that hasn't been thought of or even tried in some crude or primitive fashion beforehand, perhaps incorrectly dismissed due to limited understanding, lack of appropriate technology, dearth of previous research, materials, personal bias etc.
The more I get to hear the more I feel there is no one true path within Hifi.
Horny Single ended obsessives haven't discovered the one true path in audio, at best they have discovered their own personal path and often become as blinkered as those into the search for ultra low colouration via muscle amp's actives speakers etc.

I am no B&O lover, however blinkered hatred is silly.
Agreed, Cobblers. And another thing since I seem to have wound myself up to a point of feeling like a dyspeptic colonel who has run out of gin . . .just to put the B&O 2,5kW nonsense (are we talking speakers or wind farms?) into perspective for a moment; in the external broadcast of the 1953 Coronation service, Tannoy covered the whole of Trafalgar Square with a full frequency response - down to 30Hz! - with just 1kW!!!!!!

There may be no one true path but there is no shortage of over-hyped blind alleys! I'll shut up now, take my Horlicks and toddle off to bed.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Trousers View Post
Agreed, Cobblers

just to put the B&O 2,5kW nonsense......... Tannoy covered the whole of Trafalgar Square with a full frequency response - down to 30Hz! - with just 1kW!!!!!!
Baggy,
Yes, but that's probably a proper continuous 1kw of well ventilated PA power.
My understanding is that B&O's class D modules are not capable of anything like this, nor need to be for domestic use, just another example of the creative math in marketing all too prevalent in electronics.....bah humbug, grr, argh!

Petercom,
My Apology for irrelevant banter in this thread.
Again good luck with IAG, I'm sure you'll sprinkle some magic over their speaker lines
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:15 PM

Dear Peter,

I wish you well in your new job. Your WD designs have dramatically increased my enjoyment of music, and hope that you will continue to do so for a wider range of people in the future.

Best wishes

Tom
Old 6th June 2009, 09:06 AM
stevef

Ni hao Peter!

I have just read the news of your new job in China in HiFI World - Congratulations!! I'm sure we'll see the fruits of your input in future products from the IAG stable and I look forward to it! I know the Chinese are now focused on producing some truely first rate hifi products - my Shanling CD-T100C is clear proof of it! - and your knowledge and influence can only help further it.

Before I retired I had several business trips to Shanghai and found it be a most vibrant and stimulating (if at times a little hectic and crowded!!) - I even found time to track down some quality hifi shops and wondered why they are now so lacking in the UK!! However I never found the area for buying components (the equivalent of Tokyo's Akihabara district). I'm sure there must be one and perhaps you can let us know where it is?

It's sad that you will no longer be a part of WD and I will miss your regular articles in HiFi World. I'm glad to hear that the guys will be keeping WD going - especially as I am just thinking of ordering a pr of WD25T's!!

I wish you well and enjoy the adventure!!

BTW - try the hairy crabs - very tasty! Oh and does a IAG yatch come with the job?

Steve