World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > The Coffee Bar
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Coffee Bar Drop in for a chat or say hello if you're a new member!

Old 2nd March 2024, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Bang and Olufsen Help Required

Well..., to continue where I left off.
I bought a complete Beocenter 9500 complete with a pair of Cx100 and a pair of CX 50 speakers, cables, speaker stands. Had it serviced, needed a new cover motor and cassette drive belts. I re foamed all the loudspeaker bass drive units (6 in total).
In the meantime I had the luck to come across Bob on the forum, who sold me a pre 3 phono stage, which sent me off to Mathew for the matching power supply. After many helpful calls to Bob the power supply and pre were fitted between my Void Valdi Deck and the Aux input on the B and O.
Now it's been in use a while my conclusions are:
World Design products very good, nice clear sound without being bright and wearing. The Beocenter performs quite well, nothing spectacular but nothing to fall out with, if I didn't know better it would suffice. The CX 100 speakers have 1 tweeter and two small bass drivers (3 1/2 inch each). Mid and top very clear but bass lower end totally missing.
So, I've tried the B and O and as I own better, it's not for me. After hearing, and being impressed with the World Design products, I'll buy a Pre 3 CF from Mathew and hope Bob will again be kind to me with his advice.
Now, I need brownie points, so off to buy the chocolates and flowers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240302_13235R.jpg (137.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 3rd March 2024, 08:37 AM

I am so glad you are happy Pete, now that dose look neat and tidy, but I am sure you will like it much more with a pair of large Tannoys singing away. Help with your new build is only a call away. Bob
Old 3rd March 2024, 09:32 AM
Super Moderator

Yes that certainly looks neat. Back in their day (80’s and 90’s) I used to have a listen to B&O at a local dealer and bought a telly from them that lasted over 20 years. Their hifi had lovely mid and treble as you say, a very airy sound. It looks like you don’t really have a problem hiding cables though, and the B&O takes up acres of surface space, so perhaps some square boxes would not be a bad idea at all. Then, if the cabinets can go left a little you might have space for a couple of slim floor standing speakers…
Old 3rd March 2024, 09:56 PM

Thanks Richard, and Bob thanks for the offer.
The amps I have previously used were 2 Hifi World EL34 Mullard Power Amp kits (5/20) which at the last house sat on top of my Tannoy Lancaster speakers. My aim is to now use the (yet to be purchased and built) Pre 3 CF to feed the Mullard kits each sat on top of the Tannoys but facing 90 degrees to as now seen (i.e. up the length of the room not across it as now pictured). I'm informed WE are going to decorate and recarpet the room, so maybe I can hid the pre to power amp cables around the edge of the carpet (probably resulting in about 10 yards being the longest length of interconnect). Then I will have at the back of each speaker, a power cable, an interconnect and a return loud speaker cable. If I use this configuration at the back of each speaker, and run/hide the 3 cables together in one flexible trunking, will it create hum?
Or, put both power amps where the Beocenter is and just run thin speaker cables to the Tannoys. The Power Amps run very hot and their transformers being close might make the phono stage unit pick up hum. Additionally I need room for a CD and Tape players. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. I have to convince other parties that the last idea is not correct and sell them plan b. I'm also, very slow to build the kits so nothing will happen for a while.
Old 7th March 2024, 03:29 PM

Hello Pete, sorry for the late reply. If you use the small dia. cable I spoke to you about on the phone, you should be able to keep the power amps on top of the speakers, hum should not be a problem, nor should the added capacitance of the cables, small dia. cables from amp to speakers would not be such a good idea though, I include the ebay number of the cable in question 155081508963 it is £1.00 per meter. Bob