World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > WAD > WAD General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WAD General For discussions re World Audio Design

Old 13th August 2015, 08:21 PM

Default Re: KEL 84 rebuild.

I reckon you are right Bob, the difference using fast diodes on the heaters of the ECF80 is probably minimal compared with the effect of improving the HT power supply.
I found a useful Improvement on the KT88 amp by the simple expedient of snubber capacitors across the UF5408 HT rects. I felt that it usefully lowered the noise floor. I never really did get an improvement using Schottkies on the DC heater feed to the ECC83 and 5687's. I think the only way to go with those would have been to get a 9V transformer and feed a regulated supply to the heaters.
I don't have my KEL84 any more, i swopped it for some gear from a mate as I wasn't using it much, the KT88 amp having so much more of everything. As one would hope.

Andy.
Old 15th August 2015, 03:52 PM

Hi all, I have been running this little amplifier for two day's and I must confess that it is now not that far short of my WA88, it really dose sound that good, it is surprising just how loud 12 watts will go into my speakers of 89db, I pushed it quite hard for about half an hour and I could not detect any distortion, I am tempted to keep it, but, I already have three transistor amp's and two more valve amp's, three pair's of speaker's, two turntable's, two tuner's, one pre-amp and four cassette deck's that I need to move on, . BOB
Old 15th August 2015, 03:54 PM

Forgot to say thank you to Matthew for all his help, thank's Matthew, .
Old 22nd August 2015, 04:47 PM

Member Kyron visited today and we had a good chat, and he listened to the amp. he is now the owner of the little KEL84, I am sure he will find it just as nice at his home, I am sorry to see it go after all the work that I have put in to it, but it is going to get used, and that is what it is for. A very nice chap indeed, thank's Kyron, and let us know what you think. BOB