World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 16th November 2006, 01:15 PM

Default Mundorf caps MKP/Audiophiler

After I dumped the supplied PC that came with the Bada PH12 h/amp and used a homebrew PC, I was more than happy that I had bought this hybrid h/amp.

I shunted the Alps Blue and that brought more detail. However I was amazed to find a circuit with so many 1uF x 22V caps (12) and all of these were Solens.

There are effectively 2 pairs of caps (L/R channels) that are in the signal path. I decided to buy 3 different caps to try in these positions - Dynamicaps, which I knew would have very good sonics, ERSE an American cap, that was new to me and Mundorfs. I was'nt inclined to try either the silver or gold/silver versions but elected to try the Audiophilers.

I replaced the 1uF caps first because they are first in the signal path, with the Mundorfs. These burned in quite quickly, just taking a couple of days.

Gone was the 'greyness' of the Solens, instead there is all the detail I could want. Strangely they seem to combine great detail and clarity, as much as the Dynamicaps but also have that wonderful 'liquid' quality of the best PIOs. They are tight tolerance as well, quoted as +/- 3% but are probably tighter than this, so being much better then say PIOs.

I am very impressed by them and plan to replace the other signal path caps - 2.2uF x 220V with Mundorfs as well. I shall of course try combinations of the others as well.

Before spending lots of money on either PIOs or Dynamicaps, do try these Mundorfs. I can't see how the more expensive Mundorfs can realistically sound that much better than their cheaper Audiophiler brothers.

Black Stuart
Old 16th November 2006, 01:27 PM
Stu2006

Default Re: Mundorf caps MKP/Audiophiler

Interesting, I have the same amp in my bedroom but not looked inside yet, will have mooch later!