World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

News News from World Designs

Old 31st December 2005, 03:44 PM

Lightbulb Eggfest dicussion

Without treading on Steve's or anyone elses toes prehaps this is a good time to talk about future meets.
While I would not like a ridged formula I think we could agree a basic format.
For example it might be interesting to hear several amps through one pair of speakers and interconnects.
Or several sources through one amp & speaker set up.
But not a competition.
Old 31st December 2005, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Eggfest dicussion

Colin,All,
I personally can't wait for Eggfest 3,as i have said before,we are like a 'family',and Eggborough Hall is where we practice our faith.
I have agreed to loan my IPL S3TL's to Dave_The_Vinyl_Junkie for the day,but they won't be in use all day,so if anyone else would like to use them they will be more than welcome.
If an updatable list could be compiled saying who will be taking what it might aid matching on the day.

Regards

Martin
Old 31st December 2005, 04:56 PM

hi I agree entirely, it was my first eggfest and I thoroughly enjoyed the day, despite being a bit tired with M.E. and a borrowed car.

Thankfully, I now have an excellent car I am chuffed to bits with, and a hifi system I am happier with, having previously experimented being more into kit than music, passing time, making cash on ebay, and losing cash on ebay. It was fun tho and I leared loads.

Anyway, one of the shortcomings I thought was that it was excellent to hear everyones efforts, individually, but I did think it hampered things.

It would imo be better to simply have one speaker for all amps, and then perhaps all speakers for one amp.

Then we can get a comparative idea about the differences between things.

I will bring my eikos cd player and newly found genelec actives, if I keep them by then (its a toss up between them and mackie I liked the small mackies, but genelec are meant to be the dogs scrotums), a bit non valve, but I think they need to be heard.

And I strongly recommend we hear the resident speakers in the house, those electrovoice stage system 200s on the wall, my brother has those as a p.a. man and they are 100db sensitive, superb for valves and sound good, I would be interested in others views on them.
Old 31st December 2005, 09:40 PM

Eggfest 2 was extremely enjoyable and an excellent venue negotiated by Steven, but I felt it could be improved by a bit more control of the equipment being demonstrated. The idea to use the same speakers with all the amps would be an exellent aid to comparison. Perhaps we could hear a short track delivered from the same source through all the amps and then a track of the owner's choice that he felt best demonstrated the attributes of his own equipment?
Old 1st January 2006, 01:34 AM
Will Cowen

If you had one set of speakers played by endless amps you would get a good idea of the sounds the speakers are capable of, but you would only hear the amp that suited that speaker.
It would be interesting to turn the speakers to fire away from the open hall and wooden floor, create smaller spaces use the carpet and curtains.
HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Old 3rd January 2006, 05:11 PM

I'm easy which way the day is organised.. the get together is better than the listening to me, and which i do little of really...
I don't mind at all if any one wants to take control of the day.. orgainising who plays what and for how long.... i will of course book the venue etc.. or i am quite happy to do it all.. any volunteers??

any more views?

i am quite busy for the next month or so but will get some dates in the next week or so
I've spent the weekend fixing one of my lowthers, the soldered joint that is stuck to the cone had gone.. quite a job.. but i think its ok now???

cheers steve