World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > Members > BB Problems
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BB Problems Report and Reply on any problems using this Bulletin Board

Old 17th February 2006, 01:33 PM

Default None editable posts

Please may we be allowed to edit posts after 24hrs?
Old 17th February 2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: None editable posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealG
Please may we be allowed to edit posts after 24hrs?
The reason the default is set to 24hrs is to stop members going back and editing posts to say something completely different without anyone realising.

Naturally this would destroy the history of the posts that follow and it is unlikely that anyone would be aware of it unless they re-checked.

I'm happy to edit a post if anyone wishes me to after the 24hr cut-off has elapsed - just PM me with your edit.
Old 17th February 2006, 04:01 PM

I would love to Peter but your inbox is full!

We never had a problem with post edits previously, I think we are a trust worthy lot

Anyhow, please edit my first post in the Fun with feedback and K5881 post.

after: 'For K5881 MK1 the procedure is the same except that R3 becomes 33R not 11R as with K5881 MKII'

Please add:

Also it will be necessary to adjust C10 for best Sqr Wave performance. Change from 220pF to 1.2 ~ 1.5nF. This is best performed wile under test with a 'scope, however, if this cannot be done use a 1.5nF polystyrene cap. For K5881 MK1 use 1.5nF ~ 2nF, this has not been tested.

Thanks!
Old 17th February 2006, 07:02 PM

Sorry about that, inbox cleared now!

Edit done as requested, thanks for the info.
Old 18th February 2006, 01:24 AM
WD Archivist

Hi Peter,

I've also suffered the inability to edit after 24 hrs, and the edit would not be contentious or misrepresent what has gone before. I'd appreciate a more liberal approach here.

Best wishes,

Greg
Old 18th February 2006, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

I agree with Peter about a time limit but not that posts should still be able to be editted "on demand".

There's nothing to stop people adding another post later in the thread to correct or give more info about their previous post, or to even repost the whole thing if they want completeness of an article.

In fact 24 hours for editting is too long imo, other BBs I use allow 5 mins, otherwise following posts can be made to seem irrelevent or incorrect.

Before anyone says it, no, I'm not suggesting anyone would do that deliberately but it is sometimes important to keep the feel of the thread to be able to understand following posts. If the first post needs correction it's no shame on the poster.

In that context I will now re-edit Neal's additional information so my posts now don't seem irrelevant!!

Rich
Old 18th February 2006, 10:00 AM

I'd err on the side of 5 mins to create an audit trail which is essential to retain the integrity of the forum. If you made a mistake in what you said it should be to your cost not to the cost of the following posters whoi responded to what you actually said. All you have to do is admit your mistake and state what you intended to stay, but the reasons for following posts remain clear. If you are able to go back in through a back door and take the rug away from the feet of the follow on posters they would be made to look silly when it is your error.

I wouldn't allow any edits! But five mins is OK only if no other responses had already been published.

And no I don't think everyone here is a wonderful person. Many times my words have been snipped and pasted out of context I would say it is very likely such people would edit their own posts to make follow on posts look out of context.

Good fences make good neighbours.

I have faith in human nature, it is evil.
Old 18th February 2006, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Paul

Agreed for the most part but perhaps I'm luckier with my neighbours!

I want to be clear that in this case all Neal wanted to do was to make his article complete. The editting has now done this. A better way (so as to keep the integrity of the thread) would have been to re-write it with his new knowledge and post the new version. Paul will remember me posting about 5 versions of a pot-in-box on the first BB!

This episode really is the perfect illustration of why editting should be limited, even when done with the best intent.

Rich
Old 18th February 2006, 10:41 AM

Well, just my 2d's worth, the only times I edit a post, is either to fix the broken speeling, or to add extra stuff I thought of after hitting submit. I would think 5 min is more than enough for that. Its not as if what we post here is life or death anyway.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 18th February 2006, 10:43 AM

If it where any other BB I would agree. I never saw a problem with the membership of the WAD BB and I don’t see it here, I don’t believe the membership here is ‘evil’ in nature at all, strongly opinionated, yes but not ‘evil’ in a way that an individual will stalk and attack another at every turn, again unlike some other BBs.

As you say many quote what was said so an edit to an erroneous post would not change the thread context or its flow. What changes the flow is irrelevant / flippant off topic posts that take the subject off at a tangent. I can live with 24hrs, 5mins is way too short. That would restrict who and what is posted, I think it would stifle the BB and slow it down. A 5min punishment lock down is very draconian IMHO for what can amount to a simple oversight, I’m also sure it would place more burden on the moderation team as well.