World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 4th May 2006, 07:56 AM

Default Re: So can anyone tell us the result of the phono shootout then??

Hi Max,

The reason I ask, is that, as you know, I'm sceptical about those pentodes in V1 and would like to try something different. I have been working on a cct that avoids the daft pentodes at V1. Actually, its not the pentodes I dislike just the biasing arrangement and the need for TX coupling. I'd like to be able to use mine without the TXs welded in place.

Basically the cct is an Aikido, the output impedance of the Aikido is low so can drive the cans direct. On paper (Spice) this works a treat, but Nick is sceptical about the self generated noise from the four triodes in each Aikido Cascode channel.

James gave me the idea for the Aikido, and, I think, he's cooked up something different that uses a meaty Ruski triode in a cascode that avoids the need for the Aikido Cathode Follower altogther....

I'm hoping to put togther an experimental breadboard for the Eggfest, that, if Nick is game, we could clip lead into his cans, but my time is also limited...

Perhaps we should start a new thread for this?

cheers,

-- Andrew