World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 9th January 2006, 05:52 PM

Default An 228 arm and a pair of old phonos

as some of the boys are bogged down in grease I thought I'd post a new thread ...

the plinth is okay , the GL78 okay, if not quite lub'ed up.

This morning two parcels arrived; Alan's Michel Hera / Iso with PSU
A Hadcock arm
oooer.

First the second. The arm is not brandspanking new like Nick's but it is not the oldest I have seen either. Source? ebay a lespanol, muchos gracias senior and thanks stuart for the witty explanation of spanish banking practice.

The arm is roughly set up and not so very tightly screwed down. VTA is very nearly right (three mats). Azimuth looks so very very nearly right and I have intuited how to adjust that (with the large counter weight?)

A denon 103 ... well its the only one I have to exeriment with and the one I have been using with the rb250.

This is the league all arms should be in. Greater clarity frankly. The rb250/denon sounded good and that wasn't set up properly either. This is better, I am sure. If there is any bass missing (as some say about Hadcock), and I don't think there is, there is even more mid range detail.

So, total thumbs up for Hadcock and I wish I could afford a new one.

My phono is a totally rebuilt with expensive components, hard wired and silver wired Phono II with 5751s instead of ecc83s and WAD mc step up transformers. I have never had any doubt that it is excellent.

And I prefer it to the Iso / Hera with whatever PSU it is. Alan was right about it looking er, challenged but it is easy to build something much more attractive. It can go in the downstairs system. It sounds very good but I think the WAD pips at the post; slightly warmer, slightly more listenable. Both phonos are very detailed and nicely balanced.

The phono comparison will continue but total hats off to WAD II phono - a giant killer!

The Hadcock has found a new home.

Last edited by andrew ivimey; 9th January 2006 at 07:55 PM. Reason: more accurate title
Old 9th January 2006, 06:12 PM

Default Re: An arm and a phono

this is getting upsetting for me, I sold my Hadcock on ebay last year, the thinking was I was happy with the SME and the Hadcock wouldn't be an advantage, how wrong can you be , mind you I can take consolation in that it was a 228 not a 242, now I'll have to start saving again, please stop buying things Andrew

Old 9th January 2006, 06:48 PM

Default Re: An 228 arm and a pair of phonos

hello David, sorry! but I have stopped ... oh but what about a kontrapunkt?

I bought the hadcock before christmas and have been very patient (expecting to be disappointed by a broken down old piece of cr@p.

What SME have you? I only have a battered (fishy!) 3009. This is a 228, or at least I think it is a 228! ;-) The 242 is about half an inch longer (9.6 inches) I believe so more like rb250 length.

I'd be hugely grateful if anyone has setting up instructions because there is more than likely a few things I haven't done e.g. Could there be / should there be oil in the unipivot joint?

As I said, I see how to (have done) alter tracking weight, azimuth and VTA. But I sure there is more.

Last edited by andrew ivimey; 9th January 2006 at 07:56 PM.
Old 9th January 2006, 07:29 PM

Hi Andrew

I have a copy of the illustrated Hadcock setup guide and since I shall be corresponding with you shortly, would you like me to send it down? I would copy it but the photos are pretty dark and it would not copy well. You can keep it as long as you need and then post it back.

The unipivot use silicon damping fluid and I have enough to swim in! Let me know and I shall try to figure out a safe way to transport the stuff.

Mark.
Old 9th January 2006, 07:49 PM

Mark, that is VERY kind indeed.

thank you.