Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > WD Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

WD Loudspeakers For discussion of World Designs Loudspeakers

Old 21st October 2006, 11:08 PM

Default Re: wd25a, are they for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimangus
I too am wondering if these are for me.

I really would like to have a listen before taking the plunge.

Is this possible any where. As i live in derbyshire.

I do have some concerns from the frequency responce graph of the low bass output. I would have the floorstanders but i would n't fit them into my tiny cottage, and i can't afford them.
Any coments about depth of bass output.

I had a listen to a pair of klipsch heresy 2's the other day, a staggering speaker just a bit (a very very small amount) harsh at the top end, but the bass was almost non existant, in terms of extension, what was there was beutifally integrated, but output only goes down to 63hrtz. That would really annoy me from a 12inch driver. Are the wd25's simular in this aspect that the low bass output is limited for a 10" driver ?

Any guidance would be fabulous.

Regards
Jim
As a WD25 standmount user who has used an awful lot of well rated speakers, and access to numerous others I remain deeply impressed with the speakers.

What Peter's achieved with the WD25's is very clean tight fast super articulate Bass.
Yes it is a little lean for some tastes. Those who are expecting seismic ported style thwack Bass or aiming to replace their sub will be disappointed. However if you crave a big clean sound with dynamic Bass allied to majestically foible free open midrange then they are absolutely superb.

I don't feel that I am missing the depths of really big floorstanders at all, and have rarely heard any of these working in a realistic manner without the bloated thump which I detest. I am using light weight open frame stands too, if you wanted more Bass slam you could use hefty filled stands.

I would think tiny cottage + truly deep bass would be a no no anyway. Deep clean bass requires big rooms, massively built highly expensive speakers with massive drivers IMHO, otherwise it's just ugly.

bear in mind most commercial loudspeaker response figures are a bit fanciful anyway. WD25a's produce much cleaner Bass at their lowest point than most of the commercial competition with more adventurous figures. Yes some go lower but I wouldn't give them the time of day.

The treble is very good even in the basic tweeter, so the XL's must be really something. I would imagine more of a case of simply more detail rather than lower colouration, as these don't suffer from unpleasant obvious peaks which ruin Piano reproduction and female vocals for example.