World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Sources
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sources Your DIY source designs (turntables etc.)

Old 23rd January 2006, 02:28 AM

Default BBC Article on vinyl awareness

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4627278.stm

Comments? The initial message I found utterly depressing, however it does seem that there is some interest amongst the iPod generation. It's a good job the 'comments' facility was closed as I was ready to tell Iain Murray from Edinburgh that he should perhaps learn to set up a turntable and look after records properly before calling them 'rubbish'.

Edited to say: Damn! This is 'source related' but not really DIY is it? Sorry! It's late. Mods, feel free to move it as required. I can't seem to delete it myself.
Old 23rd January 2006, 03:17 AM

Default Re: BBC Article on vinyl awareness

Can't be any good, Dwayne says so.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 23rd January 2006, 08:14 AM

Gentleman,

Well im 30 ( ) and i didnt have that much exposure to replayed music when i was small, my family just listened to radio 4 for all my childhood*.

I can remember reading a copy of What-Hifi when i was about 15 and looking in the list at the back and seeing a record player listed that was about 40 grand, i could believe that it was so expensive when cd was king. Then i was really confused when it said it didnt come with an arm!!! I figured out that it must hold the needle underneath somehow (not realising that that would mean the record played backwards (there was no photo of it to help me)). It couldnt possibly be that you had to buy the arm seperate.

When i got into dance music i heard of the Technics SL1210 II, my freinds even had t-shirts with it on. It was THE only deck to DJ with (now it isnt BTW cause it jumps like a ****** if your heavy handed due to the S shaped arm)

While there are still people doing things in the dance arena like this then i think kids will still get some exposure to vinyl but it will become a bit like tea leaves as compared to tea bags.

Paul

* The constance of radio 4 in my house when i was small was best shown by our old dog. It got walked every afternoon after the arches had finished. As soon as the archers music came on the radio for the second time the dog went crazy and bounced about nuddging its lead and waiting to be walked! The dog wasnt called pavlov BTW
Old 23rd January 2006, 11:34 AM

HI, yeah I think this was posted on the vinyl Asylum the otherday, i'm 30 years young, my dad has always been into hifi and always had a decent system. He went from vinyl to Cd then back to vinyl. Strangley he went back to vinyl when I set up his Heybrook TT2 in my bedroom, sounded great !

Alot of my friends and work mates still don't get 'the vinyl thing' at all......
Old 23rd January 2006, 12:26 PM

I feel quite superior being a niche market

Old 23rd January 2006, 01:31 PM

As a someone with a large (ish) vinyl collection which gets played alot, as well as cd spinner and mp3 player I have one thing to say -
" why worry ? "

the deathnail is already out there for vinyl,cd,sacd,dvd with the growth of solid state memory and play back.
We are part of a dying breed, in 20/30 yrs time there will be ever fewer of us , , we maybe part of some study in mental illness. so dont let us spend time worrying about the end lets enjoy the now.
Old 23rd January 2006, 01:54 PM

They said that about valves in the 70's and yet here we are in 2006 with a very health valve marketeven if it is 'niche'
Old 23rd January 2006, 03:20 PM

Neal
good point - but look at the state of things, many companies climbing on the valve bandwagon with circuits that have been here since valves came into the world of audio, asking lots for very little. ( see other thread).Even though theirs costs are getting smaller. ( their turn overs are so lower they need max profit to keep their heads above the water )
Magazines now have audio visual and pc sections as an every smaller number of hifi nuts are out there to buy them.
Internet - mp3 , downloads here and there. Mp3 players down to peanut costs ( and getting cheaper).

Dont get me wrong - am not rapping my hand in, I'll be there to fight the good fight, but at least at Agincourt we were only up against the French, this is gobal.
Old 23rd January 2006, 07:03 PM

the subjects now been taken up by Sky News
http://jeremythompson.typepad.com/my...inyl_dead.html
seems to be more positive than the beeb