World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 19th December 2006, 11:19 PM

Default Re: O/T building up a PC

Quote:
Multitasking
In truth single core desktop PC's have been swap tasking very quickly, not multitasking.
Obviously now we have two cores (effectively or literally 2 computers on one chip) allows a computer to be vastly superior at doing multiple tasks.
question is do you do expect to do multiple things at once?
But thats equally not true, agreed multitasking via task switching is what happens on a single processor system, but even with a dual or quad core system, you haven't got "2 computers on one chip", all you have the the ability of having two threads of execution, the cores still rely on a single memory and IO bus, true SMP system have much more complex memory and IO layout. I may be wrong, but I still don't thing ATA disks allow multiple operations in the same way a SCSI array would (but I am not sure on that, I haven't been paying that much attention since they got fast enough and cheap enough for me not to worry anymore).

OK, as Peter said, if you are using a graphics rendering system, be it CAD or a cutting edge games engine, or a database server for a large system, then the multi cores are probabbly worth it, but for that matter, then you would look at a SMP (simmetric multi processing) mother board with two or four CPU's each maby two core's. But thats not a home system.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 20th December 2006, 03:35 PM

Another site that not only sells but have a bulletin board as well, join the forum and ask the same questions as here, those guys have all made their own PC's...... www.overclockers.co.uk

they also have a retail shop based near Stafford. I have brought from here and they are good, have also returned stuff without any problems. Also endorse comments here on dabs and dell. All very good although dabs tend to get you to deal with the manufacture if you have any hardware issues rather than go through themselves - a bit of a pain as dealing with the likes of Asus / BenQ etc can be a nightmare

You also might want to try www.aria.co.uk.

It is hard to beat pre-built on price but the benefit is that you know what components to choose, i.e you don't get many PC's pre-built using Terratec sound cards. Oh, one other thing, if you intend to get WinXP, most sites will only let you purchase a £60 OEM with either a case or Hdd, so buy at the same time - unless you go down the Linux route
Old 20th December 2006, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG
But thats equally not true, agreed multitasking via task switching is what happens on a single processor system, but even with a dual or quad core system, you haven't got "2 computers on one chip", all you have the the ability of having two threads of execution, the cores still rely on a single memory and IO bus

OK, as Peter said, if you are using a graphics rendering system, be it CAD or a cutting edge games engine, or a database server for a large system, then the multi cores are probabbly worth it, but for that matter, then you would look at a SMP (simmetric multi processing) mother board with two or four CPU's each maby two core's. But thats not a home system.
Agreed I was being a bit simplistic with the 2 computers analogy.
By that I was not implying you had effectively 2 pc's in one, simply that as you say you can have twice as many threads of execution.
Together with a sympathetic operating system and programs this does allow multiple operations with far less of the fits and starts that can be experienced with single core technology.

Dual core is the most logical way for chip designers to go as they seem to have hit (or are near) the limits of pipeline size miniaturisation, clock speeds and heat in single core design. Although dual core is also difficult to cool since it will produce twice as much heat.
I'm sure the new power hungry Windows Vista will make multi core systems worthwhile.
Old 20th December 2006, 08:50 PM

Quote:
I'm sure the new power hungry Windows Vista will make multi core systems worthwhile.
If you mean "you will need them to be where you are now with single core" than I agree.

If by any chance its not prior art, then the copyright is retained by me.
Old 20th December 2006, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickG
If you mean "you will need them to be where you are now with single core" than I agree.
That's exactly what I mean.
Being a cynical ole bugger.