World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > Wish List
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wish List Poll your project wishes here

View Poll Results: Would you buy WD Supertweeters if the price was right?
Yes,if the price was right 21 75.00%
No,they don't interest me 7 25.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 14th June 2006, 04:11 PM
Will Cowen

Default Re: Supertweeter

Those small speakers were only made because Shadow was bringing his compact sub. They were going to be a sealed box but I could blank the port if needed. They were a compromise, I wanted to hear what a good fullrange sounded like in a small box for a small room for little money and not to compete with large horns etc.
At the end of the day they were played with the sub, now they could compete.
Steve, they do have large magnets and a very flat freq. resp. unlike Lowthers gotcha.
If you are not prepared to live with a compromise you will be a fustrated bunny.imho.
Some fostex magnets below.
Will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c&f.JPG (32.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg fe20es-630.jpg (22.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 14th June 2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Cowen
Those small speakers were only made because Shadow was bringing his compact sub. They were going to be a sealed box but I could blank the port if needed. They were a compromise, I wanted to hear what a good fullrange sounded like in a small box for a small room for little money and not to compete with large horns etc.
At the end of the day they were played with the sub, now they could compete.
Steve, they do have large magnets and a very flat freq. resp. unlike Lowthers gotcha.
If you are not prepared to live with a compromise you will be a fustrated bunny.imho.
Some fostex magnets below.
Will.
will i hope you did'nt take my comments as being negative..
i was genuinely very,very impressed..they where a very good comprimise

but its just easy to think all are the same if you know what i mean...
and you do get what you pay for in most cases..
its easy to pigeon hole speakers and lowthers are a ready target , but there are many models, many of the older ones are way off..
and the horn affects the responce in a big way.. many of the more powerfull models are measured on a short horn and that throws the balance to the top end... i've not seen any measurements but my own on 3.6m a horn length... .

off on my hols..

cheers steve
Old 21st February 2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercom View Post
Please don't use a piezo. The intermodulation is awful. Similarly with the Ionophane. For years I lusted after one of these, having heard it described as silky smooth etc. But it doesn't hold a candle to a Decca Kelly ribbon. The measured intermodulation is horrible.

I've said it somewhere else on this forum, that the true definition of a supertweeter is a treble unit with a dome resonance that is well beyond the limits of audibility and therefore does not introduce the related intermodulation distortion contribution into the lower treble and midrange area. There are very few treble units that meet this requirement. Most units that are lauded as supertweeters only maintain their upper frequency response by using harmonic distortion to extend the output. IMO there is absolutely no point in introducing distortion just to achieve the doubtful end of extending the bandwidth beyond what you can't hear.

I suppose now I am going to have to design an add-on supertweeter module just so I can show you what I mean!

Sounds like a good idea to me Peter
Old 21st February 2007, 06:39 AM

Just because Paul has removed his Ariel (s) doesn't mean the rest of us can't recieve your transmissions