World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > World Designs > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General For anything else WD or hifi

Old 13th May 2007, 04:31 PM

Default Ramblings

Having just spent a couple of hours in front of my current set-up (which I spose I ought to re-cap as things have a habit of changing around here rather suddenly. Please see the end) It ocured to me just how happy I am with what I'm listening to at the moment.

Thinking about it in the order of current components residence time spans I'll take the amplifiers first. In this case it's a pair of exceedingly simple PX4 SE mono's driven by the little used MH41 IDHT. I cobbled this circuit together around 5 years ago and little has changed since. Oh I've battled with hum, blamed this, or that, and swapped components is sheer desperation. Finally the culprit was discovered more by chance than anything. No it wasn't the AC heaters, they're just dandy. It was simply a faulty heater balance pot. Once evicted and replaced all is now well. Only change I may, or may not, make is to replace the noisy mains transformers. They're a little low on HT and only give around 2.5W per channel so it just might happen one day.

My point is as many of you may know, is that I have a vast collection of valves at my disposal. I have built with many, and always intended to try many more. But I discovered the PX4s and it has all come to a halt for the last 5 years. I did re-build the 6EM7 in a nice compact case recently, and in many ways it betters the PX4 but the 1 watter just aint enough. So it sits neglected in the shadows constantly tormented by the big boys. If you can call PX4s big that is?
Nope, despite 211s, 212s, 813s the PX4s with a measly 2.5W still hold the prised position between the source and speakers.

Talking of source..................tbc if I haven't bored you all yet?
Old 13th May 2007, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Ramblings

Not at all Darren; what you describe is where we all get to, bounce out of, move on and come back to. 'sfunny thing but I get all itchy fingers if I am not soldering something and longing to getto when I can see the heaters of some valve (any valve!) heat up.

Having got so far (3rd rebuild, last year I think) of my favourite amplifer; Ongaku it is quite good enough to last me many many days, but I still solder up other things; driliingcuttingbleedingspraying&makingmistakes.

what I do with record players and at the other end; speakers, is just a diversion.

And every so often a record sounds good enough to make all the aches,pains and sweat worthwhile.
Old 13th May 2007, 04:57 PM

Source,

I think it's well established by now where I sit on this one.
Dealing in second hand hifi for years it may come as no surprise that many have passed through my humble abode. Keeping things simple it will also come as no surprise that the Garrard 301 took me by surprise and floored all the others in my collection in terms of just about everything to do with what a turntable does. Many of you will also know just where the Garrard took me.

Tonearms. Is there one I don't have? Of course there are many, but there are not many I would actually want to add to my collection. Which do I prefer? If only I had the time I would tell you. I am working on it but for now it's an Audio Technica AT15003/3. A ten incher that really does perform well.
One I must try soon is a MK1 SME 9". Don't confuse these with the MK2s, they are worlds apart.

Carts, currently an Ortofon MC30 supreme which I think is outstanding. Would really love to try a Rhondo Bronze, soon eh. Oh real soon, along with a brand new SME 12 incher. Oh it's not mine, more's the pitty, I just have to set it up for a customer on a Twin plinth just to make sure is all well.
Well I have to don't I?
What you mean no?
Of course I do......

Last edited by Darren D; 13th May 2007 at 11:01 PM. Reason: The usual....
Old 13th May 2007, 05:12 PM

Well you have rather set yourself up to be able to try quite a few tone arms etc, eh!
Old 13th May 2007, 05:14 PM

is that the M-2 12 Darren?

I've got a M-2 9, I always regret not getting the 12" but I didn't have the 401 at the time,

Old 13th May 2007, 05:22 PM

Speakers,

Again, I have many, I don't even know how many I've currently got stored away. It's disease I tell you....

My faves have got to me the Mourdant Shorts 700 series. I have 4 pairs currently and they are all very different whilst at the same time very good. Two pairs have Kelly ribbons and two have London Ribbons but with different mid and bass drivers. I also have some spare ribbons of both types. Currently I use Londons with kelly transformers to up the sensitivity along with Warfdale 7" mids and 12" Fane Pop 50s for the bass. Outstanding, and I don't say that lightly. You'd be surprised just how loud 2.5W go with these, quite loud my neighbor would sadly testify...

If anyone tells you SE doesn't do bass just send them round here....!!!
The only other speakers I have a passion for are my pair of Quad 63 statics.
I have to admit I do use an active pre. I'll also admit I would never consider removing it from my system. Currently set-up for directing the sub 44Hz to a single 15" Fane driven by a 250W Toshiba SS amp used mostly at full whack.
Now sub 44hz aint much, but take it out and you'd be very surprised at the loss.
Nope this stays put thanks very much.

I have a more powerful amp for this which I will try shortly as I suspect 250W is not enough. We shall see in due course.

I'm hoping to move soon to a much larger house if all goes well.
Old 13th May 2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david counter View Post
is that the M-2 12 Darren?

I've got a M-2 9, I always regret not getting the 12" but I didn't have the 401 at the time,
Hi David,
It's the SME 312 which I'll have to order next week from SME along with a Rhono Bronze from another source.

Not wishing to promote at the mo, but I can now supply the whole range.
Old 13th May 2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew ivimey View Post
Well you have rather set yourself up to be able to try quite a few tone arms etc, eh!
Hi Andrew,
You'd be shocked at how many different tonearms I do have, but I can just about justify to she who must be obeyed.

Luckily for me !!!!!
Old 13th May 2007, 05:39 PM

I'm looking forward to the new house should all go well.

Now before you all get the wrong idea, this has nothing to do with Slatedeck. It's a separate business venture in it's own right more in the property development market.
Slatedeck can just about support itself and after trading officially for a year now it'll be nothing more than a hobby with a few perks for a self indulgent hifi nut.

But, and it's an exciting but.........

The main living room is 8.7x7.8m (28.8x25.6 ft), Now that's big, well to me it is anyway. It's a sort of L shape but big enough not to matter.
Now then, I've already told the missus to expect guests...
Should be good......

Last edited by Darren D; 13th May 2007 at 06:04 PM.