World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 3rd August 2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: KLS3 and bass

Hi-i will try them with my 832 PP amp in the near future (about 6W) with feedback on,not sure about feedback off.

It will be good to have a KLS3 day for a change.

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:44 PM

Hi-the KLS3 are now in situ and the 832 PP is playing some silver discs i know quite well.

The presentation is "different" to the VoFos.With KLS3 there seems to be less obvious bass,but more weight to the lower mid/bass,if that makes sense.

It seems the 832 IS driving the KLS3 without being stressed so they can now be used more often.Horrah !

Philip

Everything in this post is my honest opinion based on what i thought I knew at that very moment in time.
Old 4th August 2007, 08:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, folks. I'll respond in sections.

MK II to MK I Crossover
I'm thinking of stalling and buying more parts so that I don't have to remove anything from the MK II crossover to get to MK I properly. To get the 120uF value cap required on the bass filter for MK I, I'll have to combine a 47uF Soniq, a 22uF Soniq and a 50uF Solen. Some of these are currently on the MK II midrange filter and so will need to be removed. I need some patience or I need to dismantle some of the MK II filter.

I'm drinking coffee as I mull this one over right now. It would be nice to be able to just go into town and buy some decent caps "across the counter" from somewhere but that's impossible.

Gold to Standard
As Greg suggests, I could change the KLS3 Gold to the standard KLS3. I have the drop in replacement treble units that could be used to replace the HD3P but I couldn't do this today as I'd need the crossover components for the MF/HF. I'd also need to cut away some of the cabinet to fit the standard treble unit.

Ella
The Ella produces about 10-12 watts in triode mode. I've used it in UL when it's closer to 50 or 60 watts with KT88's, but I prefer it without feedback and in triode mode. It drives the speakers quite easily tbh and has now been extensively upgraded since Nick built it with blackgates, DACT stepped attenuator, Dynamicap coupling caps and Schottky diodes etc.

Single Driver
The idea of changing speakers for one of these single driver jobs is intriguing but I'm afraid I just don't really understand the stuff I read about it. I've followed the threads but I just don't get it, never having heard such a speaker before I'm sure it would help if I did. I can imagine this sounding good on some of the stuff I listen to such as old Tamla Motown stuff but I have a problem understanding how I can get satisfying results when I also want to listen to the likes of Greenday, for example.

WAD Speakers
I agree the WAD speakers clearly don't suffer excess bass. I heard the WD25T at Witham sometime last year, but I'd need to hear them again because the room wasn't ideal in my opinion.

Thanks for all of the responses. It's much appreciated as usual and is much food for thought, again as usual.

Brian
Old 4th August 2007, 09:37 PM
WD Archivist

Hi Brian,

My main observation is whether it is a good plan to mix and match you caps in the bass filter to get your 120uF? I don't know. Certainly you could select enough of either of the Soniqs options to be roughly around 120uF or you could simply follow me and get a pair per channel of 60uF Solens. As you know, it works for me.

Best wishes,

Greg