World-Designs-Forum  

Go Back   World-Designs-Forum > DIY Projects > Loudspeakers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Loudspeakers Your DIY Speaker designs

Old 13th August 2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Merrill Zigmahornet

Shane - Good idea - will definitely check this - in fact will angle the inner edge so there's more room.

Scott - I put thin foam layer (~5mm) with a rough surface behind the driver as instructed by Dave on the diagram. You are right - it's a tight fit. Very clean sounding at low levels though. I have suspicion Shane is onto something. Will def. check that drivers are free and basket not bent etc.

Thanks again!
Old 14th August 2007, 10:44 AM

Default Re: Merrill Zigmahornet

Hi,
Found the problem. I did check that the drivers could move freely and the driver frame wasn’t distorted. Distortion was still there when I had the drivers out of the cabinets. Connected speaker cables directly to the drivers and still distorting. Swapped the preamp and voila distortion went. It’s probably a bad solder joint in the preamp (TVC) – I did do the soldering after all! (and it’s nasty magnet wire). So put drivers back in and working fine

They sound very good. I would say: light, spacious and coherent with excellent imaging. They lack some weight and extension (asking a lot from a tiny driver I suppose). Somewhat programme dependent – the digging bit on O Brother Where Art Though sounded a bit hollow and lacked body - luckily I don’t listen to digging sounds all day. Work very well with acoustic (Bonnie Prince Billy was superb) and delicate electronic music. Thanks again for help!